How Do I Share Ham Radio With A Family Of CB Users?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CHK, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I admire what YOU have accomplished in spite of your disability. That's coming from one who has had a number of eye problems in the last few years but the good Lord has seen willing to give me a break. If you must keep the family in your ideals just take "Unk" aside and leave the rest. Make your offer one time and if he doesn't respond within reasonable time forget about it...then and anyway, concentrate on your wife's license program. "You can lead a horse to water...". Good luck. When (not if) you get your HF rig I would be proud to QSO with you! 73.

N5PNZ likes this.
  2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd personally just let them play CB while I play ham radio. Someone who's a retired trucker has been on CB so long he's likely not going to want to change. If they do ever get interested in amateur radio, they can come to you for advice. But don't feel bad if that never happens. A lot of CB'ers with little regard for FCC rules are likely not going to want to get into a licensed service where there are even more rules to follow.

3. KI5WW

KI5WW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And with that said, it’s a wrap. Let’s get a beer.

4. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Leave them on cb. That way, you will always have a scapegoat for neighborhood tvi.
    10-4 an gone.

N7ZAL likes this.
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the first thing I might point out is that of the hundreds of thousands of hams in the U.S. today, a pretty large percentage of them are people who came from the CB ranks. So, it's not a bunch of snobs who look down on CBers - probably most of them today were or still are CBers. With that many getting into amateur radio, there must be some reason to do it.

Radio City has a little 'Ham Radio Starter Kit' for $69.95 that includes a small HT, a Gordon West Technician Book, Part 97 Rules, and a Quick reference Guide. This must be a fairly popular items - they've been selling them for years. http://www.radioinc.com/

I think a lot of CB 'tech wizardry' is based on folklore, but some of it has a basis in reality. Let them learn the right way on their own.

Do you have an idea of how a ham license would work better for them than CB? Some concrete ideas might help sell it.

6. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like the crowd on 7.200 14.313 and frequencies on 75 meters and generally throughout the ham bands these days
    which of course is CBers fault for joining the ranks, if you believe this thread. I personally think the ones having such a condescending
    attitude towards CBers need some counselling themselves. This self aggrandizement elitist mindset equals QRMers snobs and good reason
    ham radio today is one notch above CB when it used to be a million.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. I actually have to agree with this poster for once. Is the universe about to explode? Or should I get a lottery ticket? Amazing.

8. K2WH

K2WH Wanna get Lucky? Remember Valentines Day Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

This post is most definitely a troll.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

How? I don't see where you've said anything trollish yet?

10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I never said the 7200 crowd are angels, nor am I expressing elitist attitude toward CB'ers. It's just that I've known a lot of CB'ers and a lot of them have the attitude that rules are made to be broken. It's kind of a "freedom" thing to thumb their nose at "Uncle Charlie" and see what they can get away with. Obviously, as per the original post on this thread, a CB'er who operates an illegal linear amplifier and I would assume "extra channels" likely aren't going to want to follow more strict rules in the Amateur service.

KB4QAA and N7ZAL like this.