How Do I Share Ham Radio With A Family Of CB Users?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CHK, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4CHK

KN4CHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that idea. That is pretty good. My wife just got the ARRL Tech study book. She is interested in Ham radio. When she is done with it I could let my uncle use it. I have a handheld he could use as well. That is a great idea really.

N6QIC likes this.
  2. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Possibly. Or, considering he uses illegal power and has no inhibitions about violating Part 95 rules, he may just hook it up and operate as a freebander on 2 meters. He may also get some of his 11 meter freeband buddies to buy rigs and enjoy the fun. That's just what we need.

N2UHC likes this.
  3. W5WN

Good luck! I hope it works.

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

While that would be less than ideal, at least 2 meters would be used. :p:D

W5WN likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

I just hope they don't decide to pick up a few BaoFeng's for their next huntin trip....
    YMMV

6. W5WN

I have enough trouble understanding English. I'm lost trying to decipher CB slang!

WZ7U and KD8DEY like this.
  7. KN4CHK

KN4CHK Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the reasons I would like to try and share Ham radio with family or my uncle is to help grow a bond. He is a Vietnam vet who became a trucker after the war. Well now in his mid 60s he has lost his left foot from mid calf down. Sure he has learn some bad CB habits from trucking and also some bad cussing habits. That does not mean that all that can not change. No hunting trip was needed as my family hunts on their own land. Heck for turkey day we had turkey, deer, and squirrel hunted on our own land. On to the Baofengs. Being legally blind I live on a fixed income. Sure I would love a $500 D Star handheld but it is not in my budget. As a gift by two different Ham guys I was given a new Tech tribander and a Wouxun UV8D. Neither knew the other was buying me a transceiver. All I know is the two Chinese handhelds that I have. I would love to experience an Icon, Kenwood, or Yaesu but for now that is not happening. The only time I get to use Yaesu and MFJ gear as of right now is when I log into the remote shack that a nice Ham is teaching me to use.

N5PNZ likes this.
  8. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a TON of bad information in CB that is literally generations old. It's a lot of snake oil and old wives' tales, and has been propagated as truth for ages. That's a hard thing to overcome and you're not going to undo it all in one sitting. Two miles into the woods is two miles back out of the woods. You'll have to share a spoonful at a time. Find a particular topic that you can demonstrate, and use their CB to do it. For instance, explain why coax length affects their swr meter reading. Once you build credibility, the subsequent discussions will be easier.

Once you get your HF station set up, do a lot of listening and get someone to join you and get a taste of it. That might be a platform for an open discussion of how things work.

And you may have to accept that some of them just might not be cut out for it.

Good luck with that and with your Amateur Extra test.

N5PNZ, N2UHC and WZ7U like this.
  9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but at least there would be SOME activity on a repeater ;)

N6QIC likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My solution would be to simply confront them and say, hey, you all still messing with that kids stuff? CB is for kids and losers, ham radio is for real men who want real radios. So Uncle, what's it going to be cause if you keep messing with that CB junk I'm just going to have to disown you.

There, problem solved. Your welcome.

WZ7U likes this.