How Do I Share Ham Radio With A Family Of CB Users?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CHK, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how one would deal with this. I recall similar situations growing up around people that were audiophiles. They'd start out with a lot of misinformation and bad habits but they'd grow out of them in time as they learned. You are dealing with adults though and that makes it a different issue.

I saw this transition from what I'd consider mostly superstition to more rational thought among audiophiles without really doing anything, they came to it on their own with research and experience. Maybe that's what you'd need to do, encourage research and experience to overcome the superstition. You can say something is true and no one will believe you, show them something is true and it will be much harder to dispute. How this can be applied in your case depends on the specific issue you are dealing with. That might dispel some of the technical myths they have.

When it comes to more "cultural" issues that's another animal. They are not likely to abandon the friendships they've made over the radio. The bad operating practices (and even outright illegal behavior) might be best dealt with by turning a blind eye to it. You might be able to break them of their superstitious behavior by example and experimentation but if they keep going back to the CB for the conversation then I'm not sure that's a habit that can be broken.

It's hard to condone illegal behavior, or convince yourself of being blissfully ignorant, but you do have to live with these people. If what they are doing is obviously unsafe then that's something that must be dealt with as diplomatically as you can.

I suspect that their personalities might not be compatible with Amateur radio. I don't know these people but by your descriptions I doubt you'd be able to convince them to get a license. What I suspect you could do though is break them of some bad habits.

2. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I KNEW it would only be a few minutes before an amateur Antenna Illuminati arrived here with a less-than-illuminating technical opinion. The topic is a lot more complicated than you describe above. The ARRL Antenna Book is a good place to acquire a beginner's understanding of transmission line theory -- you might want to check it out.

I wouldn't know.

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are definitely on to something unless they mean the reason the coax must be a certain length in because it's in the cab (and not somewhere else). o_O

N7ZAL and WW2E like this.
  4. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People that use these have more friends than people who don’t.

[​IMG]

:p

WZ7U likes this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well yes, of course if you're using phased antennas, coax length is important there too. But for a standard CB installation with one radio connected to one ground plane antenna, coax length can be whatever is necessary to get from the radio to the antenna. It doesn't have to be x times 3'.

I do, all too well since I've known a lot of CB'ers and the myth was rampant, and if you search online you'll find it there as well. It's always "3 feet."

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny - hams arguing about CB conventions. You guys never fail to deliver.

K4PIH, N6QIC and KK5JY like this.
  7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, here are nulls along the coax and proper/lowVSWR can be found there. FYI

8. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget about the velocity factor of the cable. That will shorten a resonant length somewhat.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not on the Citizen's Band test.

N2UHC, WZ7U and W5WN like this.
  10. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would go buy a brand new radio like a Kenwood or Yaesu 2m mobile radio. A Larsen 1/4 wave antenna and a technician study guide.
    Wrap them up really nice and go and give them to your uncle.

Forget about everything that you have said above and just tell him. "I know that you love radio so this is for you." He will take it from there, and you may fix more than just a radio problem. :)

K2CAJ and N7ZAL like this.