How Do I Share Ham Radio With A Family Of CB Users?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CHK, Jan 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4CHK

KN4CHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I would like your help and advice please. I have my General class license and will soon be studying for my extra class license. I do not own any of my own HF gear yet and use a handheld transceiver as my get on the air station. In my family I have a retired trucker uncle, cousin, and uncle of a cousin who are into the CB. I am not talking about legal CB either. Neither of the three are trained nor have studied radio or communications as we have to do as amateur radio hobbyists. Therefor there is a lot of bad ideas and hype being used by my family and yet they think it is Gospel truth. I know you understand. They will talk about dead key & swing, talkback, finals, they think the ten meter band IS Ham radio, etc. They talk about “leeniers” , have very over modulated distorted audio, etc. I have heard things such as the coax cable when run inside the cab of the tractor trailer has to be a certain length or multiples of a certain length or the SWR will never be right. Overly exaggerated gain claims of a certain antenna, yet not understanding how DB works or what the wattage numbers mean. They do not understand that a CB is on the 11 meter band and think a CB is better because it has a "freq" frequency counter on it. In the CB world louder is better, and it is a cool thing when you can be heard over several channels or over the neighbors TV set. I would like to share my hobby with my uncle who just happens to live on the same property as our family. Yeah we have a Waltons thing going on here with my mom, step dad, my wife, daughter, and myself in the same house. Then my aunt and uncle live in the mother-in-law house on the hobby farm. How do I, or what advice would you give me to calmly share Ham radio and some technical details with my uncle so we can have a meaningful conversation about Amateur radio and CB? I do not want to paint the snob picture than some CB guys have towards Ham radio. I also do not want to do the put down thing that some Ham guys have done with the CB crowd. Thank you very much for the help and advice.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If they have picked up as many bad habits as you say, why would you want to bring them into amateur radio?

ND6M, KC9VFO, N5PAR and 9 others like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...one word came to mind RUN but they are family so the next best thing would be to allow them to remain in their 11 meter land of Oz we won't miss them.

KB4QAA and N2UHC like this.
  4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

yes,

someone has obviously not looked behind the curtain :)

K3XR likes this.
  5. WB7OXP

i have found that showing people that there is real "science" and "math" behind all this, and that if you understand it, then you can do things so much better, no matter the band. people often don't know that antennas have real "truths" (468/f MHz). watts is a real thing (volts x amps). swr is not voodoo. etc. there are lots of types of mikes. wire thickness matters. coax type and length (i dont meed magic lengths. i mean line loss length). etc.

i often encourage people who use electronics alot in their jobs to get ham licenses, because it gives them a end goal on their path to understanding electronics and radio.

6. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you are out-numbered, and out longevity-ed, they won't believe you are the voice of truth(as it were). I would stay silent until or unless you are asked a specific question to which you know the correct answer.

N5PAR, W7ROX, KU4X and 2 others like this.
  7. WB7OXP

and since you are a ham. KNOW THE ANSWER!!!

KF2M, N5PAR, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  8. W0MSN

W0MSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pick out 0ne of them that may be willing to leave the dark side and try to show him the light. Might not be possible? I think you have a tough road ahead.

KK5JY likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try the old Colombo routine....lead by example. Ask THEM to help YOU, since they know so much and you are starting out and they've been doing it for years. Ask them to help you put up an antenna, and then go about your business until they start asking questions....and they will. Your answer can be "The book says to do it like that....do you know a better way?". Then you start asking them leading questions like, "So whats the perfect length of coax to work on every frequency". At least it will get the conversation started. You'll either piss them off, or you might pique someone's interest. But I wouldn't give up because they are CB'ers, and I wouldn't be disappointed if you fail. It's worth a shot.

WZ7U and K9ASE like this.
  10. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Your relatives might not be as backwards as you think. It turns out that, under certain circumstances, transmission line length can impact SWR. It's a long technical discussion, but the general concept is valid. Their notion that it is sometimes beneficial for transmission line to be "multiples of a certain length" is also firmly based in radio science.

You must pray for his soul to be released from the darkness and distress of CB Purgatory, so that it may ascend to the pure and lofty realm of amateur radio. :rolleyes:

K4PIH, W7ROX, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.