How do I remove my name and address from QRZ?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KJ4VEF, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The last few people that have posted that question have had problems on a repeater somewhere and then wish people couldn't find them for whatever the reason.

I personally would never have mine removed because I'm an a DXer and send and receive many cards. But if someone comes to my door I am allways ready to welcome them with a smile and handshake or the other if necessary that no one wants to meet with.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a doobie instead. ;) :D

3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it 4:20 yet???

4. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pour me something tall and strong, make it a hurricane, before I go insane.
    It's only half-past twelve, but I don't care. It's five o'clock somewhere!

At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder,
    What would Jimmy Buffett do?

5. N0DSR

N0DSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can think of one good reason to want to have personally identifying information removed.

IDIOTS

I realize that this might be a little dramatic... Here is a little scenario for you.
    You are driving down the road happily enjoying your hobby with your antenna farm on your car and your callsign on the license plate or sticker in the window. something distracts you and you pull out in front of that car you didn't see. Well little did you know, that guy you just cut off knows just enough to know that he can now look up your callsign and find exactly where you live. (even if they just did it out of curiosity, as a callsign is different. Ever looked up something you saw that you might not understand?) I know it sounds weird that anyone could possibly be this malicious. But hey, all I have to go by is one time I cut off a guy in a parking lot and surprisingly the next morning I came out to my car to find my passenger window busted and things stolen from my car. Coincedence, maybe, but when I saw the car again (this was in the apt complex I lived in) he just happened to have some of my stuff on the seat of the car. I reported it to the police and it really didn't go anywhere. But the point is, there are people out there that have the ability to use google and to go off about anything. So far since entering this hobby (just earlier this year) I have witnessed several people driving like they own the road, proudly displaying their callsign. If I were the type to feel like exacting revenge, I could have looked them up and went straight to their homes and did what ever I wanted.
    I really didn't do my homework before entering this hobby. I do not intend on giving it up anytime soon. But I am constantly thinking about these things.
    Another point to consider, when you move, sometimes there are people you want to move away from. I have had neighbors that I really did not like and I am sure the feeling was mutual. You know what happens when I google my old address? I get a result pointing to the FCC or QRZ database that links me to my current address. In fact, it is the third result on the page. Can you think of a time this might be useful to anyone? So if you find yourself in a situation where you want to keep your new whereabouts low key, forget it, or be willing to surrender your ticket BEFORE you move and kiss your hobby goodbye. I can understand the FCC needing to have your contact information on file, but why does it have to be public record?
    Maybe I will start a new thread :confused:
    73s

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is one of the benefits of living in America... transparency. There are still countries in eastern Europe and South America and one just 90 miles off our own shore where governments do whatever they please to whomever they please whenever they please, the citizens of that country be damned!

Personally, I am extremely thankful to be living in this country.

7. M0GZP

M0GZP Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't ask "How do I remove my name and address from the FCC database" or even "How do I remove my name and address from the internet". What he asked was explicitly "How do I remove my name and address from QRZ". I believe that the answer M3ONL supplied is the correct answer to that question.

-simon

8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Before this thread gets closed, and really it should be closed by now, the point that many of us were trying to make was that QRZ is only one source of amateur radio license holder information and that removing his personal information from here does not prevent anyone from easily finding out his address, etc. At the time he posted his question, he had only been licensed 2 months and was probably unaware of all of the other resources for finding license holder information. Some people even think that QRZ issues amateur radio licenses since so many seem to believe they can not go on the air until their name appears here!

9. M0GZP

M0GZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh I agree. But no-one actually *answered* his question correctly except for M3ONL, and his answer was deemed "not correct"! The correct answer to his exact question is that you *can* delete your details from QRZ if you want to. Of course, that doesn't remove it from anywhere else, as you and others have helpfully explained. But perhaps he doesn't *want* to remove it from anywhere else? Perhaps he's just decided that he doesn't want to be on QRZ.COM for whatever reason? :)

-simon

(IB4TL!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.