How do I identify

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W1AGC, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W1AGC

W1AGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got my ticket in Maine a few weeks ago. I split my time between NYC and Maine. I used my Maine address for my ticket. I am now in NYC. Am I KC1AKV mobile (not using my car down here)? Portable? or just KC1AKV. Thanks.

Bob KC1AKV

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, you don't legally have to use any identifier. If you want to, that's okay too. About 99% of my on air time is mobile, and I rarely use the term mobile. Most of the time, even when you're very loud on the other end, doing so will shorten up the QSO rather quickly.

3. W1AGC

W1AGC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to know. Thanks Alan.

bb KC1AKV

4. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The added identifier is more a courtesy to other hams. For example, if you say that you are -mobile, then the I know that If I hear fading in and out, that there isn't much to be done and live with it. However, if I didn't know you were mobile, I might suggest that you have an issue somewhere in your setup that is resulting in a bad signal and that you may want to look into what could be up.

5. K0BG

There are two sides to that coin, Josh, as I alluded to above.

I'm one of those mobile guys who pays attention to every detail. As a result, very few people know I'm operating mobile, unless they know me personally. Even then, they often ask if I'm mobile, because I actually have abetter mobile signal, than I do at the house.

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I travel the other direction quite often and identify myself as N2ADV/1 mobile so folks know that a)I do not reside in 1 land and b) that my signal may fade due to my being mobile. I used to leave off the /1 but I discovered that adding the /1 made folks more likely to call and chat when I announce I am monitoring ("Oh, you are not from here with the /1 - where are you from, stranger?).

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it gets a lot of attention and brings in more calls if I sign P5/WB2WIK. And then once in QSO, I say, "Oh? Did I say P5? I was describing the last ATV signal I was watching. Sorry.":p

8. K0BG

Steve.... You're incorrigible! I guess that is why I like you so much—no one, every causes you to retract anything you say! Please.... Keep it up!

9. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I say "RV Mobile Sedona, AZ" that usually solves it. If you get a stickler for the vague rules or a protocol Nazi, just tell him he's 5.3 with QSB & 73s.

10. KD5TXX

KD5TXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate mobile most of the time. I stopped identifying as mobile after my call just because I don't feel I need to. I will say mobile sometimes when I am trying to get through a pileup because sometimes that sets me apart and the dx station will make an effort to work "the mobile station"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.