How do I get my QSO's to confirm a contact?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KN4ZUJ, Jan 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4ZUJ

KN4ZUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I get my QSO's to confirm a contact? What is the advantage of have a QSO confirmation?

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only confirmed QSOs are admitted for Award credits.

For a confirmation to take place, both parties to the QSO (you and your worked party) must each independently enter a record of the QSO in their logbooks. QRZ then automatically tests to determine whether or not the following data fields in each record match the other with regard to callsigns, band, mode, and UTC date/time within a 30-minute window. If so, a confirmation is indicated; if not, none is indicated.

LoTW QSLs are given credit; Enable LoTW Access/Download from LoTW. See logbook SETTINGS.

3. KD2RLU

KD2RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

For a digital contact, why would the band be expected to match? One party might be accessing the mode via 70cm and the other may be using 2m. In that case the mode (ie YSF etc.) would need to match regardless of the band either party was using. Do we know FOR SURE that QRZ requires the Band for Digital contacts, or only for regular contacts?? Or for Reflectors, the linked repeater I'm using may be 70cm and the linked repeater the other party is using may be 2m. I think (but don't know for sure) that for ANY digital (via the internet) contact, only mode needs to match, not the band.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You seem to be confusing digital HF MODES such as RTTY, PSK, JT8 etc, with repeater contacts. Most log systems do not accept repeater QSO"s, and most contests and awards do not accept repeater contacts.

5. KD2RLU

As I said, "I'm not sure". I got my all Continents Award from QRZ with two of the contacts being via YSF or C4FM and I seem to remember that the Band did not need to match, only the mode. The two parties can agree to record a specific Band even though they used differing bands, so what's the point of having the Band match when logging a digital contact? Regardless of the band you use, you don't make ANY contacts lest the Mode matches. Thank you for the quick reply. I was afraid there would be no reply. 73

6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See rules: https://www.qrz.com/page/qrz-operating-awards

In view of the fact that transmissions that use a relay or repeater or an Internet link may not be used for credit towards awards, the comments regarding band, etc. are moot.

The award analyzer software is under investigation in the event improper awards may exist.

WG7X likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whats the advantage? Well none, if you do not intend to apply for any awards.

If you do intend to apply for some sort of an award, well then, it is very important to get confirmations of contacts made. Since the advent of computer logging, the intervals between the contact occurring and the confirmation of the contact have been getting shorter and shorter. But it is still important to have the details correct in order for a match to be made.

...And no, contacts made thru any sort of an automatic relay either via a repeater or some sort of internet relay do not count for much. This includes but is not limited to the various digital voice modes, echolink, ILRP, or whatever.

8. KD2RLU

Thank you for the link! I guess I'm just misunderstanding something (which would be no surprise). But in the drop down for MODE you will find C4FM along with a slew of other modes. Is C4FM reliant on internet or not?

9. W1DQ

In the C4FM mode, the transceiver detects incoming rf signals from the antenna and determines whether they are analog or digital and then configures itself accordingly.

The incoming signal can be coming direct from another C4FM transceiver via rf propagation without the need for a repeater or internet node link. While the mode facilitates such linking, it is not reliant on it.