ad: elecraft

How Do I Get a Better Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Dec 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

His blog is "FOUNDATIONS OF AMATEUR RADIO".

How does one undertake any discussions on said foundations without invoking even the basics, in this case even simple physics? Poo-pooing the physics cart-blanche is not in the spirit, nor the mission, of ham radio. As there is 'pleasure in the mission', the adjective of hobby applies in many, if not most cases. But its a hobby legally defined by a mission, in that interpretation.

Onno wants us to just do something , odd, (based on his assumed criteria of 'how to choose an antenna') without any interest in understanding it. So he is missing the foundation issue which is size versus frequency of use, for example. You can't use a 6 inch whip on 80M. The physics tells you that the fraction of the current distribution on that length will be so small that it will radiate feeble. His approach may be the purview of true art, but it isn't a foundation of amateur radio. Its not a generational issue; its a 'what is ham radio all about' issue. The mission invokes a knowledge base, steeped in simple physics, and an obligation to enhance that knowledge base.

Yes, I and others clearly state that he got it wrong. Based on Part 97. Based on the Amateur's Code.

No friend, I think I and others read it correctly.

Wireless/radio may be a magic box, but we are beyond Oliver Lodge's wireless communication with spirits--magic of the unknown. The magic-mystique is there, but the physics makes it real. Fun to use, fun to know:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy Onno, you're getting the beat-down again. But I love how your posts always generate a frenzy of the crusty ones who lurk in the forums just waiting to pounce since they have no other life than ham radio or these forums. Great Job!

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

shinecov.JPG
    It must be fun to squish people into cubby holes.

Been a busy day here. Usual work stuff. AND pre-release of my new album (above). And patent 50 (US) issued today-- but no time to celebrate. Whatta life! Full and rewarding :)

I am going to see 'Straight No Chaser' tonight, with my wife; son; and his new bride. No radio, no forum.

What's your life like tonight OM?:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Still lurking I see. and with over 8 THOUSAND posts to qrz, (still not as much as many others,) I see that you just can't wait to jump in again.

Point proven and I digress. This forum (and all others) is a joke.

W3ATT Out (drop the mic) hahaha

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps with age you will become less cynical.

I have high hopes for ham radio, and the wonderful and talented diversity of people within it.

Chip W1YW

6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't say all others. I would say that Teh Zed is a wretched hive of scum and villainy; and doesn't care about Amateur Radio, only selling advertisements.

7. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I knew as much about everything as you seem too.

8. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip nobody wants to learn or build anything anymore. The "new breed" wants to use the credit card and have the newest and best stuff and so they think its a win. The biggest problem they have now is a dull box cutter. This is why you hear people on DMR asking for signal reports ( your internet is working great pal) and complaining HF doesn't work.

W1YW likes this.
  9. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Careful how you talk, you young whippersnapper! Our modern generation of physicists have brought us many wonderful things. The Apple computer, for example . . . oops, that was actually a nerdy looking college drop out! Sorry. Then there was 3M Scotch tape invented by the great physicist Richard Drew. Oh, another college drop out, not a physicist? Or how about my mentor Dick Feynman? One of the greatest physicists of all time. He brought us . . . well, some paintings fit to be hung in a bordello, and he played a mean set of drums. Then there's that Cohen guy who's also a physicist, kinda like Feynman but different. He brought us those Fractured antennae* that actually work. Problem is he can't spell. He spells it Fractal. There goes 20 IQ points. At least Feynman could spell. Anyway, spelling problems aside, like so many others, he somehow managed to get his ham license.
    * Yep, the plural of antenna is antennae, just like the plural of stewardess is stewardiye. Capish? I learned that on the internet. They wouldn't put it there if it wasn't true. Ask anybody.
    By the way, post #60 proves W1YW's point, although he should have said 'cognitively challenged' rather than 'stupid'.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    W1YW likes this.
  10. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too.

11. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think "nobody wants to learn or build anything anymore" is true at all. This "new breed" made the QCX radio one of the hottest selling radios last year. As to people on DMR asking for signal reports ... meh, I dont embrace new tech quickly ... I don't spend much time playing with the new digital modes either but I don't hate on people who do ... I haven't heard anyone whining about HF propagation lately other than our beloved Chip ... but yeah ... I get it. If you didn't smelt the copper to make your antenna for your cat-whisker radio, you are just lazy and if you haven't ever actually designed and built an HF transceiver yourself you are just stupid. I get it... If the first HAM I ran into had that attitude, I would have never gotten a license at all. Why bother joining a brigade of judgemental, cranky old bastages who just want to tell you how stupid and lazy you are?

Really, sometimes I am ashamed of my generation. It seems like we have completely forgotten one of the best things about our hobby is the opportunity to mentor young HAMs. So let me take this opportunity to again remind the younger HAMs out there. CW is great fun. Propagation is as good as it has ever been ... JUST DIFFERENT than it has been in the past ... 40 is the new 20 ... and there are plenty of old HAMs out here who will work with you patiently while you get your skills up if you simply want to learn.

Now if you are coming into the hobby so that you can prove to the world just how much smarter you are than everyone else, that isn't going to sit well with the guys who are already here for that purpose. Most likely you will find yourself butting heads with them ... I believe the kids call it waving their E-peens at each other ( did I say that out loud ) ... but hey if that is why you are here ... this thread is most certainly the place to make your splash.

Gawd, where is the moderator.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I knew as much about everything as you seem too.

The artist formally known as "Ofay" said:

[​IMG]

K8VHL likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HF propagation is the worst I have ever seen it, in 52 years of hamming. It must be terribly frustrating for a 'newbie' wanting to work the world with modest resources. And that is where the benefit of knowledge in antennas/physics plays,to wit: HOW DO I GET A BETTER ANTENNA?--a foundation of amateur radio--goes a long way towards improvement of the station and the opportunities for enjoying contacts from afar.

Chip W1YW

KD0CAC likes this.
  14. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I'm trying to give the non technical hams we have now a mental picture. Keep in mind most of these guys believe they have to buy a dipole.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider ham radio as a friendly invitation to learn more. At your pace, and interest, and with lots of people (if you seek them out) to encourage you.

Chip W1YW

K8VHL likes this.