ad: GNOHF-1

How do I create the memory groups on my FT-450D?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N7BKV, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the radio new recently. The supplied manual is 2016. P 58ff address memory functions. But I cannot find any instructions on how to create the memory groups it mentions. I can do the two HOME memories. And the Quick Memory. I can find the 60 channels under Group 13. But I cannot figure out how to create groups 2 to 11.

I followed the instructions and used the menu features per those instructions. What am I missing?

And I searched QRZ forums and the internut to get help. No joy.

Thanks, 73
    Brian N
    N7BKV

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's in the manual. At least in mine. Reread it. Page 59

3. N7BKV

Yes, it is real clear how to turn the MEM GRP feature ON. But not how to create the groups or assign content to them.

And, yes, I did read the manual. (Your first comment to me was unnecessary. Thanks for editing it out.) And my original post referenced P 58ff. The "ff" means "and following", for those who forgot.

So my question is still unanswered. I have MEM GRP in the ON mode.

So how do I assign a VFO content to a given group? Only group numbers that show up are 01 and 13.

When I press the DSP/SEL knob, the group number flashes, as if it will change with rotating the knob. Does not happen though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Frequencies need to be saved to the groups/slots before they show up for tuning. I have the FT450AT. There are 50 memory slots in each group, but I've only setup a handfull of memories in each group so that is all that shows up when tuning in memory mode. I don't have the manual handy, but follow the instructions to assign frequencies to memory slots, and then they will show up when you're tuning in memory mode.

I decided that I wanted one band per group so I went through and saved top, bottom, and mid of each band to three memories in each group. I've added on from there, but I have starting points for each band.

5. KT5WB

Storing a memory is still the same steps either way grouped or ungrouped. The display of the memory channel will be different if its grouped, but its all the same buttons in the same order for storing a memory.

Page 58: Memory Storage
    Setup your VFO: band, mode, frequency, width, etc.
    If you see ">" in the DSP area on the far left, push DSP until ">" disappears.
    Push F (not long push), Push V/M.
    - Memory channel starts blinking, you have 10sec to record the freq before it times out
    Rotate SEL until you get the group+channel you want
    - You can't skip group to group at this stage. You have tune through all the slots in one group to get to the next group.
    Push V/M to save the freq.

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

years ago, same problem. i still see pencil notes in the book. talked to yaesu. never got groups to work. too complicated for me!
    i even mentioned this when trying the ft991a,got it working there but sent it back for other reasons.
    ill be watching. still have 450d,and a 7300.
    id still like to see if i can do the 450 groups!!

oh,i think this was/is the problem.
    quote.
    "You can't skip group to group at this stage." if not, it aint groups!!

i think i wanted to go to a group number , then sort thru it.
    never could, gave up. still like the 450...

7. KT5WB

Starting from factory reset it can be a pain. When programming a memory you can't skip from group to group. If you want to setup the 5th memory on group 3 you have to scroll through all 50 memories in group 1, then all 50 memories in group 2, to get to group 3, then you can setup the 5th memory in group 3. When programming the memory. Once its programmed then yes you can skip from group to group.

It is a pain the first time setting it up. But once you have a few groups setup it becomes faster because you can start from a group that is closer to where you want to go. Its just starting from factory reset when everything is blank it starts out a bit tedious.

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Grouped memories" is more descriptive of the feature than "memory groups". It's a rather unsophisticated system, actually; and people get messed up by over-thinking it, expecting something more sophisticated than it is.

N7BKV and KT5WB like this.
  9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

??? it is what it is,not sophisticated or unsophisticated whatever that is supposed to mean!!

N7BKV likes this.
  10. N7BKV

And as KT5WB said:

Rotate SEL until you get the group+channel you want
    - You can't skip group to group at this stage. You have tune through all the slots in one group to get to the next group.

If you want to setup the 5th memory on group 3 you have to scroll through all 50 memories in group 1, then all 50 memories in group 2, to get to group 3, then you can setup the 5th memory in group 3. When programming the memory. Once its programmed then yes you can skip from group to group.

This answers the question. And I got it to work as described above. Sure is goofy though. I was certainly overthinking it and assuming it was more intuitive.
    Scrolling though nearly 50 empty slots just to invoke the next group number? What's that! But OK, I can live with it as a set up issue. After all, it is a Ham Radio. Supposed to be goofy to deal with, I guess. :confused:

KT5WB likes this.