How did your gear get stolen?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W7LHK, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Things must be a whole lot worse in the EU than it is here in the US. I literally know hundreds of hams who have everything listed here as well as other places and that not one has EVER had anything stolen, so far. The FCC has all info anyway and those listing only a PO box my 12 yr old grandson can find your address and phone in about 5 min or less using the computer it's that easy.

One problem you may have over there in the EU is that the crooks know that they most likely look down the barrel of a gun if they the wrong house as it here. Anyone entering my house would make me fear for my life and I would use deadly force to stop them as would my wife. We both are prepared and trained to do so and have no qualms about it. Our laws are quite different here when it comes to someone entering your house and my cars are always parked inside all of them (5) and we live in the country.

God bless our Troops and pray for them on this Memorial Day and the ones that have fallen before them.

And that is all there is to tell, it could happen but they would have to bet there life we aren't at home.

2. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm mostly relying on thieves not knowing what all this gear is for and how much it's worth. Of course, I always lock my vehicles, it deters the casual thief. I think most hams out there would question someone selling ham gear that wasn't a ham, too. I suppose if it ended up at a pawn shop that could be something else. Maybe 1% of the pawn shops out there be reputable enough to actually know, or want to know, anything about ham radio and maybe ask for a person's callsign before buying ham gear. Not holding m breath for that tho.

3. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a great idea, Use a mailing address and Not True home address,
    wow would they be disappointed breaking into my Call sign tied address.
    As not one Piece of radio gear is there, Hell nothing really even of value.
    KJ6OJL
    Don

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice, Patrick. Now please use that spray and remove this obnoxious character from QRZ and suspend his posting privileges. Enough is enough.
    Thank you.
    Hart
    AJ4GQ

5. KA7BAD

KA7BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a PO Box for ham related stuff. look me up and see. further, all of our vehicles and even my driver's license list the po box. I like the ability to be discreet. Also, some local hams even announce on air "we'll be in florida for a month, so please keep an eye on our place" and the like. just as bad since anyone can scan the bands. No, i'm not paranoid, just private and will never share those sort of details. FCC makes out licensing info public-- we have no choice, hence the postal box idea.

As for the car, stealth install is key but its hard to disguise an external antenna.

good luck gents!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.