ad: chuckmartin

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4FFAB, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Nice setup. :) I do a lot of outdoor portable operating, so I can appreciate what you did to make that all work.

I played with a portable vertical antenna outside today. Was trying to find ways to make setup and tear down occur faster and more efficiently.

I found it's always about optimizing the little things. :)

For example, how quickly can you deploy the individual telescoping sections from a portable vertical antenna exactly?....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    W7TCT likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked on my mobile setup for the 160m contest season. Hopefully the weather will allow me to do at least one of them mobile.

The truck looked a little small underneath the antenna, tho. :eek:

KC8VWM and W7TCT like this.
  3. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dang, nice.... what did you use for the antenna? That maneuver would shred the 17' 1979.

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. W7TCT

oooo.... checked your QRZ page for a pic of the 160m setup. From the photos on the page, I can only assume that for 160m, you somehow loaded up the wind turbine. :)

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of a cap hat, it's a propeller cap.

upload_2018-11-7_21-42-27.png

W7TCT likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

Thanks. :)

This ultralight, quick deploying portable antenna is better described with many more photos and includes actual construction details here...

KC8VWM's Ultralight Portable Antenna Quest.

W7TCT likes this.
  7. W7TCT

Much coolness. As I already own both the Wolf River Coils (which I really like), I am halfway to maybe tweaking what I already have into a shorter vertical with a few ground radials. Just haven't tried that. Not hauling a tripod would decrease load.

Ham radio: always something to learn, experiment with, and have fun.

Thanks.

8. KC8VWM

Instead of a tripod, try using a piece of flat metal (lightweight aluminum plate) bent into the shape of an "L"

You can just place it on any flat surface. Even on the ground and anchor it there using either a weight of some kind ( a rock, sand etc.) of by driving a tent peg through a hole in the L bracket.

You can even park your car tire on it or just wedge it under the leg of a picnic table if you like.

You can even make an "L" fold up into a flat position which makes it easier to transport inside a backpack.

When unfolded and deployed, it has a locking pin or other mechanism to keep it in the shape of an " L."

I gave up on carrying around tripods a while ago. This is much stronger, more mechanically stable and far less "tippy." :)

Here's another example of an "L" antenna mount used to hold up a mast or a portable vertical antenna..

IMAG1014.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    W7TCT and WZ7U like this.
  9. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the guys in my local club said the Santa Ana winds were in his neighborhood. He is about 15 miles away...

Later I looked out the window to see the trees getting beat up. I knew my 75 was in danger, as it's a 33 foot MFJ telescoping mast on a Channel Master Tripod with three tent spikes holding it down. Well with little to choose from, I parked and old bike on one side and an old security screen door on the other side...it was all the dead weight I could find, I hope it holds up. :eek:

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. W7TCT

This is a good option for when I know I will have something to sit on the plate. Nice to have on hand for a quick setup when possible to use.

Thanks.