How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been there when it was started and I even made a video of it a few years back (7 years ago now), but being there in person is of course the way to go.

And my radioing today was FT8, the conditions have been very good even 10m open, but I was a bit busy to make anything of it. Unfortunately I didn't get VY0ERC, but it would have been fun to.
    RadioMap_20211224.png

UT7UX likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

More proof ham radio is dead. I activated Cove Mtn (W4V/RA-016 aka Dragon's Tooth) and made SSB and FM contacts on 40m, 20m, 12m, 10m, and 2m using 10w and a wire tossed over a tree branch. I don't know what I'm gonna do if this doesn't improve soon.

In all seriousness, this is a great summit to activate. The 2.4 mile hike is suitably strenuous with some quasi-rock-climbing activity in the last half mile. The views are excellent, and there are plenty of comfortable sites for extended operating sessions. I actually had 2 contacts on 10m, but accidentally deleted one while trying to log my first 12m contact. :rolleyes:

W6ING was doing a POTA activation on the Blue Ridge Parkway (not far away) and we both switched to 2m about the same time (I had switched to 2m after putting my HF gear away). I nabbed a quick contact with him on that band and called it a day. I lingered on the summit for another half hour taking B&W film pics of the granite spires that give the summit its local name before descending.

Log:
    Dragon's Tooth.JPG

View from operating position:
    IMG_20211224_131653025_HDR.jpg

Chris

WD5GWY, KG4HRU, UT7UX and 3 others like this.
  3. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bored being off from work so I finished a project I meant to start almost a year ago LOL.
    I rebuilt a dead 117C power supply for any of my Swans. I ordered a new replacement board
    then had to wire it in, wire by wire by the schematic. It was not a drop in replacement, but when
    you go by the schematic all went well. I had to rewire the 12 pin socket going to the radio as
    the last owner had it wired all wrong. The new board has all the capacitors on it so thats nice as well.
    Someone added a big switch on the front of the supply so I left it on. I replaced the speaker with a new
    8 ohm too.It works so another supply is always welcome in the shack.

New Board -------------------------------------------------------------------- Old Board
    IMG_7887.JPG IMG_7891.JPG

IMG_7889.JPG IMG_7888.JPG

WD5GWY, KG4HRU, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  4. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tuning my combined VHF/UHF Yagi antenna for 2-meter and 70-centimeter bands. 6/10 elements with Gamma match.

I have an analyzer for the 2-meter band, and as I made the measurement I decided not to touch anything there - luckily it was a perfect setting as I assembled the match in the garage :).

Alas, 70-centimeter Yagi is a challenge, as I do not have a tuner, just a budget SWR meter. I am concerned that the measured SWR varies depending on the appied TX power (500 mW vs. 5W) in the range of 1.7 - 3.5 o_O. I ordered a better device (Nano VNA) and will continue in January after it arrives.

This is the setup on tripod (for portable and satellite operation). Yes a vice and a hammer provide the counterweight :)

20211225_153635.jpg

I had a young visitor from the neighborhood who wanted to distract me and to play instead of this useless activity :D

20211225_155532.jpg

KG4HRU, UT7UX and KD2UHD like this.
  5. KG4HRU

KG4HRU Ham Member QRZ Page

on a ID-52

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  6. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just had a second QSO via FT-8 with S Africa. The first one (@ZR6CV ) was 11 days ago. It had taken a few years to get Africa and then two are done within a week and a half. Sunspots?

Anyway, snowing like crazy here, stealth wire on roof, running 20w, and this. I know, I know, many of you are rolling your eyes. But I am still amazed at the capability of our radios.

ZS6AF.png

KG5FNU, WZ7U, HA2ZB and 1 other person like this.
  7. HA2ZB

Worked 7 stations on RDRC "New Year's SSTV Marathon". I have never ever tried 2-way SSTV before, so these are my very first contacts in this mode.

20 meter was easier, but propagation dropped soon. Not easy with less than 20 watts and simple wire antenna.

I like 80 meter after dark, but mainly working on CW, where noise is not such a huge issue. Here on 3.730 kHz SSTV things were different - weak signals produced messy images, and SSB contesting folks did not really care, so they produced really annoying QRM. But - as always with new modes - I learnt a lot and had fun.

sstv.jpg

202112301212.jpg 202112301319.jpg

VK4HAT, UT7UX, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  8. HA2ZB

After year-end SSTV, I had a digimode day today, tried DOMINO (EX 4/8/16). This is again something new for me, and at least I will be able to identify the signal on the waterfall in the future :)

domino.jpg

If someone is interested, not too late to join the RDRC Digital Activity Days, where rare digimodes are promoted, one per day until 11th January.
    RDRC - Digital Activity Days RDRC «01-10» 2022 (rdrclub.ru)

9. KG5FNU

KG5FNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Finished setting up my new to me Yaesu FTDX 1200 rig up & finally getting my WSPR program up & running and finding out that my little old station with its' 20 watts & damaged old wire dipole stuck in a tree was received in Antarctica today !
    Man o man was I ever surprised to see "heard by DP0GVN/1" in my signal contact list !
    Made my day and all of the previous weeks' hard work of figuring out the confounding settings between the radio, computer and WSJT-X software/WSPR program worth it.
    Also I did a little JT-8 work this morning and several contacts.
    Now if can I get my new antenna up this coming week. I'm installing a new End-Fed random length wire antenna up in a tree and ending back under the window of the room where my radio is setting, I'll be all set for the time being.
    Happy New Year everybody ! 73
    Dennis KG5FNU

10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Been a while since I have had some radio worth talking about. But I have finally moved off the kitchen table and am out in the sun room, looking out the window and the scenery. First contact from the new shack was a VK1 SOTA station on 15m CW, now back to setting all the important stuff up so i can get back to home brewing.

20220104_104659[1].jpg

UT7UX, HA2ZB, W7TCT and 3 others like this.