How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got WINLINK to work with the FT-991A, now I can participate in WINLINK Wednesdays! I'm not sure what got it to work, I think it was some settings in the 991A. Of course, it worked great with WSTJ-X so now I have to see if I broke that application! Fortunately, I wrote down all the menu items that were changed and what their original settings were so it shouldn't be too bad to revert. I wonder if it would be good to make a DT systems back up of the system as it is now and then with the changes to make WSJTX work and just swap the two backups as necessary?

KD2UHD likes this.
  2. DL4QB

DL4QB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Again together with 5105 and some ft of wire into another small forest. Did some nice CW QSOs within Europe.

upload_2021-12-22_17-38-57.png

At night there was soe fog and deep temp, now it is freezed at the trees.

upload_2021-12-22_17-40-37.png

UT7UX, WZ7U, W7TCT and 1 other person like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

How did I radio today? Surely you jest. Haven't you heard, amateur radio is dying!

Actually, I activated a summit yesterday, one today, and will be doing a third either tomorrow or on Xmas Eve. Radio is so dead, I'm getting plenty of contacts in a matter of minutes. Even on today's QRM swamp of a summit (studded with all sorts of comms and TV antennas), I still managed a successful activation on 17m. The 3rd and final one will be the toughest as it involves a real hike and some modest rock scrambling near the top. However, the views are glorious.

But yeah, radio is dead.

Chris

HA2ZB likes this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong thread! QSY here. :D

HA2ZB and KI4POT like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the wires are up, I hear stuff near and far, but the rbn isn't hearing me on 20. Or the guys down coast on fone. 20 is uncooperative today. Sigh

6. KG4HRU

KG4HRU Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP on a new 10M vertical mounted on a tripod

WZ7U likes this.
  7. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Received the Christmas Message from SAQ on 17.2 kHz (message starts at 1:30):

Livestream from Grimeton:

UT7UX, HA2ZB, DL4QB and 1 other person like this.
  8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Also listened in, but local QRM from electronic appliances were difficult.

I estimate that the local noise floor on 17.2 kHz has risen about 4o dB since I started listening on VLF in the late 80s.

It is a pity that the pandemic made visits impossible, because standing in the transmitter hall with the alternator spinning at full speed is quite an experience.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

UT7UX and SA1CKE like this.
  9. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the noise is a problem. I was not able to receive the last transmissions due to local noise and was quite surprised how low the noise level was today. It was the first time I heard the "idle" carrier (don't know the correct name) and also noticed a very small frequency down shift after word pauses (only visible on the audio waterfall that I unfortunately missed in my recording). Did not expect this considering the enormous inertia of that machine.

10. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the late-80s I witnessed a run-up of the alternator, and a frequency counter showed a "chirp" of about 3 Hz at a key-down.

When the alternator was used for submarine communications in the 1960s radio operators with a good "musical ear" were also able to hear the slight beat note shift.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

SA1CKE likes this.