ad: M2Ant-1

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4TOR

K4TOR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finished up this.....1.st in a series of 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HA2ZB, VK6APZ, K1LKP and 10 others like this.
  2. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, my weekend was 3 Hell QSOs in the sprint, a number of FT4 and a number of FT8.
    Then one net on 80m and one on VHF.
    Unfortunately I have discovered some narrow band QRM that might be local, so it's time to do a detailed analysis. Just bring out the spectrum analyzer and take a more detailed check.

HA2ZB likes this.
  3. KD2UHD

KD2UHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked the November Sweepstakes today. 240 contacts, 48 states plus US Virgin Islands and PR. Sadly I couldn't quite work SD or AK even tho I heard both. Also 59 out of 65 ARRL sections. Over all I would consider it an success. :)

K4NWD likes this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Went hammock camping in the George Washington National Forest with two friends Thurs-Sunday this past week. Two of us being hams (HAMs/HaMs/hAMs?), we did an activation of 2810 (W4V/HB-031). This is a summit that hadn't been activated since 2017, but wasn't far from our normal camping/hunting area. From camp, it was a 2.5 mile hike up the mountain.

I did the activation solo on Friday as a test run for when me and my buddy were to make the climb. I didn't intend to fully activate it, but I got to the top in an hour and a half and had plenty of time before dark, so I went for it. The summit was very rocky and hard to navigate. There were plenty of trees, but trying to hang a wire while moving over the boulders and such would be treacherous. I used my KX2 and a yet-to-be-released whip antenna for 20m. I got 5 contacts, including a S2S, in a bit over 5 minutes on SSB. Several of those were on the West Coast. The return trip was a bit over an hour, so 3hrs total for this effort.

The next day, we did it again, but this time I used an MFJ-1815t whip to make my contacts on 15m SSB. Again, 5 contacts in 5ish minutes with a S2S this time as well. My buddy got 4 on 2mFM in a couple minutes (I accused him, jokingly, of finding 4 people all standing around the same radio), then switched to 20m and ended up being a newly minted General's first HF QSO. The guy had just gotten his upgrade 15min before. The wind was picking up and we were starting to get chilled, so we returned to camp where I cooked beef ribs over the campfire for dinner.

From camp, we didn't do much radio'ing. I did some POTA chasing, as did my buddy, but we mostly kept the radios off as to not annoy our non-radio friend. He takes in stride, but does mock us about it "CQ CQ CQ blah blah blah". :D

Not much actual hunting was done, but it was a great trip nonetheless.

Chris

HA2ZB, WZ7U and N0VFJ like this.
  5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of state and looked up the local amateur radio club on the web to find they have a nightly net. I tuned in and waited to find no activity at all.

6. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday actually, two mentors came over and we installed and 160/80 meter fan antenna. It turns out that they were cut a little long despite our best measuring and will (eventually) have to be taken down and trimmed so that they are resonant in the desired parts of both bands. The analyzer said the 80 meter was resonant at 3.89 and the 160 at 1.87 and not resonant at all on 40 meters. Despite what the analyzer said, the 991A internal tuner found a match on 40m but would occasionally throw a "hi swr" warning. But it seemed to handle all bands from 160 on up. I made my first contact in over 20 years on 40m, but I didn't catch that he was in the contest, but maybe I still counted as a point for him! I tuned around the bands but all I really heard were contesters and some nets, but yesterday evening at around 2330 EST, I did make a contact with an H3 in Switzerland on 80m! I also had a short QSO with a couple of NJ and NY amateur's right after that also on 80m. I didn't get the best signal report from either contact but I could be heard! It feels GREAT to be back on HF!!!!!

73s

VK6APZ, WZ7U and WN1MB like this.
  7. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My next project, IF my 6BTV ever shows up, it's only been on order for two months! Of course I'm not planning on having as many radials as you have, I'm only going with the minimum of 20 at first but will probably add more a few at a time during the winter months as long as the ground isn't covered in snow. Your installation looks really good!

73s

8. VK3ADZ

VK3ADZ Ham Member QRZ Page

After being held prisoner in my own city for so long, (covid lockdowns), good ol Melbourne. I went mobile to listen in and drive around, dropped off a radio to be tuned up. Played 40 m last night, conditions not so good but I'm free, free I tell you, free.

HA2ZB, WZ7U and KD2UHD like this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all today, but over the past week or so:

1. Set up moderately discreet outdoor antenna
    2. Run LMR-400
    3. Put together power supply
    4. Buy used TM-733A
    5. Wire 8-pin MC-60 to modular adapter (still deciding about it vs. the hand mic)
    6. Spend two days worth of spare time learning radio features and programming it
    7. Spend 8 hours waiting to hear a conversation on local repeaters

(I kid, several are fairly actively used by some good people here, but maybe not active enough for local 2m/70cm to be a major part of the hobby for me)

HA2ZB likes this.
  10. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this radio was something let me tell you. I bought this plain label Swan 500 just for something to work on. It looked bad just look at it lol! So I tested the tubes and replaced the caps then fired it up. It performed as bad as it looked. Just about no IF a little bit of audio that faded away after 10 seconds then all you had was what sounded like an AM carrier. Oh boy…. So I jumped in and started with the balance modulator then IF section. Just about every resistor was open or so far out of tolerance it was ridiculous. This radio turned into a restoration not just a repair. So I worked through all the mixer, receive and IF circuits until I finally got it all ironed out. This radio now has a really nice receive with a clean clear signal. I’m very impressed for just a 500. The transmitter section worked fine with no issues. I replaced the 6HF5’s then went through a full alignment. I stripped the case and repainted it as well and cleaned up the front of the radio buying the knob inserts and repainting the lines and dots on the knobs. I spent a lot of time on this radio but I am very pleased with the results. My other radios will sit for a while as I use this one as I hunt DX. :D

IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6177.JPG IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_7599.JPG IMG_7604.JPG IMG_7619.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG IMG_7622.JPG

SA1CKE, HA2ZB, K4TOR and 11 others like this.