How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't contributed to this thread in a while.

Been chasing Vietnam / Taiwan these last few days / months. It's been a few years since I've worked a "new one" (317 current). Been getting up around 6am local lately these past few mornings chasing XV1X on 40m. Definitely some decodes coming in but I think my signal is warming the hill behind me. Hopefully persistence will pay off.

Myself and another ham helped a new ham get on the air these past few weeks. We got the dipole up nice and high up in the trees and got the vhf/uhf antenna up. She is on the air and making HF QSO's! It's always fun to help out another ham.

VK4HAT, W7TCT, KK5JY and 4 others like this.
  2. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking as a new "old" amateur, I appreciate all the help I can get from the more experienced folks in the area. I've been very lucky to "hook up" with two OMs local (by country standards) and their assistance has been invaluable!

KB2FCV, VK4HAT and WN1MB like this.
  3. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday evening I made a contact on 40 meters ( 7.152 SSB) With ZS6CCY
    in South Africa. Lucky for me he has a great system. Both of us were 5/6.
    My antenna is a doublet ( inverted V ) with the center up around 40'.
    It runs more or less North & South. First South Africa contact in 40 years.
    So, I was quite happy to make the contact.
    James
    WD5GWY

HA2ZB, VK4HAT, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  4. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Africa is the last continent I need. I am hoping my wimpy antenna setups with full up sunspot cycle 25 action will get me there.

HA2ZB, KB2FCV, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard him too but alas, I'm just warming the hill between us and not much more.

VK4HAT likes this.
  6. WD5GWY

It took several tries before he finally heard me. He had quite a pileup going for a while. Afterwards, I heard an Italian station further up the band, but, just as I was about to try to call him, he faded out. I tuned back down to where ZS6CCY had been and he was gone as well. So, I just barely made it before the band changed.
    And tonight, 40 meters is all but dead! It still amazes me how quickly things can change. I guess that's what makes it all so interesting.
    James
    WD5GWY

7. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent a couple of hours programming a new to me Icom IC-2720H. I’ve got to admit, I’m an old school dude. All this menu driven layer upon layer just doesn’t leave me all warm and fuzzy.

Dial up a frequency, toggle an offset switch and be on the air is more my style.

8. WD5GWY

My antenna is nothing to brag about either. It's an 80 meter doublet (inverted V ) with the center up about 40'. It is fed with 600 Ohm open wire line to a 1:1 BalUn about 5 feet from the cable pass-thru in my window. Then it goes to a TenTec 238B antenna tuner. It tunes reasonably well on 40- 10 meters and fair on 80 meters. At some point I plan to get my Balanced tuner back out and feed the open wire directly to it. That should help with some of the bands I have trouble tuning with my current setup.
    In the past I have had an 80' tower with a Tri-band antenna on it as well as a dipole for 80 & 40 attached at the 70 level.
    Worked like gang busters. But, over the years we have moved several times and I no longer have a tower or the ability to climb one. And with a small city lot instead of 45 acres, I am very limited on what I can put up and maintain.
    So, I just enjoy what I have. At 70 years old, I think I am having as much fun with my current setup as I did years ago with a tall tower and nice antennas.
    James
    WD5GWY

W7TCT likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not alone, brother. Not by a long shot.

W7TCT, WD5GWY and KA2BLG like this.
  10. KD2UHD

KD2UHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have now officially worked the entire continent of NA of HF.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.10.23 PM.png

HA2ZB, SA1CKE and WZ7U like this.