How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

2. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My very first CW and SSB contacts on 2 meter band.

Until know I used this bands for repeater and direct FM QSOs and for low-orbit satellites on FM too, and realized that these modes are simply missing from my log. Well, I do not have the proper antenna either, just a homebrew 1/4 wave GP is hanging in my attic - this is not super effective. I have a Moxon and HB9CV, but they would not help without a rotator.

Anyway, I have the gear (FT-817 and an old little Alinco amplifier), so why not make an attempt in the local Junior CW/SSB contest? (For the records, I am far not junior, but it was an open contest, and I could make my humble contribution to the young contestants' scores.)

I could have contacts in 1 hour with 4 stations, thereof 3 SSB and (finally) 1 CW. I am sure the overall activity was much bigger, but I cannot really hear other running stations. No one responded when I was sending CW CQ. But the ice has been broken with these new modes :)

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did another SOTA activation today, Turk Mtn in Virginia. I used 220mhz FM, 2m FM, 10m SSB, and 20m SSB. The latter two frequencies were via whip antennas on my KX2 due to the lack of decent trees for antenna wires (and due to the constant stream of hikers coming up to the summit). This may be my new favorite due to the views and clear summit.

IMG_20211023_142733079_HDR.jpg

Chris

US7IGN, W7TCT, HA2ZB and 2 others like this.
  4. VK4HAT

Added the beginning of a proper radial field.

[​IMG]

PU2OZT, US7IGN, KT4PH and 8 others like this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After a quiet week radio wise due to just being busy with other things I got on for a bit tonight, made 33 contacts in the Sunday SST and now working a few on FT8 (all domestic stuff so far). Probably won't stay on too late, need to prep the coffee machine/grind my beans for my morning joe, I have an early dev code review and scoping call.

W7TCT likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whew! Glad I don't have that! I don't even know what it is but it doesn't sound fun :eek:

7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It isn't too bad, but since we have a team of developers in Ukraine the call is fairly early here in Texas. My role as technical project manager is just to listen in and make sure that we are making progress on the various dev tasks and occasionally I have to bring requirements to discuss or bring something to champion for one of my customers. I haven't written any actual code in a few years.

8. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I plan on working on this weekend. I got the hole dug, the mounting pipe placed in the hole and the sakcrete poured this weekend, let me tell VA red clay is tough to dig through!!

73s

KJ5T and WZ7U like this.
  9. VK4HAT

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

PU2OZT, UT7UX, W7TCT and 6 others like this.