How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed contacting you yesterday. Surprisingly good signal for a portable operation with 20W.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your DC-DC UP converter quiet? Mine similar is noisy.

3. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Set an Oceania DX CW contest target to get at least 4-5 QSOs in my log from those CQ zones. It seemed too ambitious hearing the pileups, having almost no chance to break the European QRM and compete with big guns with my 20W TX power and simple, not too effective wire antenna. Only one weapon remained: patience, patience...

Spent more than 3 hours in the afternoon in the bands without any result, than took a dinner break and after resuming the contest:
    oceania_1009.jpg

Until now I only had 1-1 NZ and AU contacts, both on the 40 meter band. So I call it progress :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    W5BIB and WZ7U like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember working you very well, OM. My antenna was maybe two feet from the water, so that probably helped. Alas...the sign in my previous post spooked the XYL, and when a mullet jumped as mullet do, she got awful worried, thinking ol' Mr. Gator was after her for sure. :D

Beautiful day and worked lots of nice OMs and YLs.

Very impressed with the little G90 and the Chameleon vertical.

upload_2021-10-9_16-24-4.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    KJ5T, HA2ZB, KD2UHD and 5 others like this.
  5. HA2ZB

Target exceeded: 3 more QSOs today morning from Oceania (and 4 from yesterday) - in 1,5 hour. The last one was really a rush, I was trying for more than 30 minutes, than could bag the contact in the very last minute :D. It was a very-very good contest.

oceania_1010.jpg

Even in the last hour I heard many S&P stations sending the exchange with less than 20 as number, so I think the propagation was not perfect in any of the bands. I could not make in the 15 meter band and 10 meter was completely closed for me too. (I did not even try 80 meter.)

KJ5T, WZ7U, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  6. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tried the "spooky sprint" on Feld Hell, got one QSO with Italy. I did see some K3, but too much QSB and noise. :(

Then I got Nova Scotia on FT8.

PU2OZT, UT7UX and HA2ZB like this.
  7. HA2ZB

Contesting weekend - a few hours, when my schedule allowed.

JARTS WW RTTY: Managed some DX contacts with Japan, US and Canada on 15 meter, but most of the QSOs are within Europe of course. Band from 80 to 10 meter worked fine (10 meter opened at late morning my time today). Age was sent as exchange. I would have been qualified to the Junior category with my 50+ age if that category had existed :) Most of the hams were 70+. Is it because of RTTY?

WAG - Worked All Germany CW: Nice contest, very convenient for me as my simple antennas and 20W TX power pretty well cover Europe, esp. Germany. Good speed, good operators, it was a great experience.

8. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up a Swan 350. I noticed dents on the radio and it was very dirty. Unknown operating condition.
    I completely went through the radio, testing all tubes and checking components. I noticed the VFO knob would spin
    but the dial did not move. The Jackson drive was broken. Apparently the radio fell or was dropped. So I replaced the
    drive and fixed the dents. I replaced the light diffuser, reassembled the radio and fired her up. Going through alignment
    and neutralized the finals all is good. Made a contact to Hungary last night on 40 meters.

AFTER. BEFORE

IMG_7294.JPG IMG_7169.JPG
    IMG_7190.JPG IMG_7191.JPG
    IMG_7187.JPG IMG_7189.JPG IMG_7200.JPG

PU2OZT, KJ5T, W7TCT and 5 others like this.
  9. KJ7WT

KJ7WT Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Fiji on 40m using FT-8, on an old Yaesu FT-100 portable with a Signalink USB interface. The bands are pretty dead, but I finally got through.

HA2ZB likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Stringing a 160 meter dipole today. I haven't been on 160 meters since 2004 and that was only a temporary inverted-L put up just for one contest.

Won't be very high initially. Maybe 30 feet in the center and lower at the ends. But will work on getting it higher later after cut down a few tree branches that are in the way.

Also will be raising my current 30/20/15 trap dipole from about 20 feet up to 35 feet or so. Now that the leaves are falling from the trees, it's easier to throw ropes to where I want them.

KJ5T, N0VFJ and HA2ZB like this.