How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to learn code as a young teen, but didn't have any money for a key and practice oscillator, so memorizing characters did little for me. When my life settles a bit, I'm going to learn CW and get on the air. I'll never be fast, but I will be there.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

code practice kit $10 or built and tested $15

Code Practice Oscillator Kit | NightFire Electronics LLC (vakits.com)

Haven't tried them, but cheap enough I think

VK4HAT and AD7SK like this.
  3. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the cash to buy that $550 GHD key now, but I was from a rather poor family growing up.

VK4HAT and KA2CZU like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently, at a local flea market, I bought a non-working Grundig C4500 for 10 bucks. Blown fuse due to shorted electrolytic capacitor. Changed all of them but while fiddling - burned the output transistors. I changed them to Soviet analogs, adjusted the coils and got excellent receive on SW and FM. MW and LW due to local noise cannot yet be estimated.

изображение_viber_2021-09-17_20-22-09-901.jpg

W7TCT, DK7OB, HA2ZB and 8 others like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise! Therefore, I continue to make the things I need from all the trash)

key1.jpg key2.jpg ключ.jpg

W7TCT, DK7OB, HA2ZB and 11 others like this.
  6. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had my first 160m FT8 QSO. First time I have had an antenna even capable of doing it, that's why it took so long.

But I discovered that I have some antenna issues with varying SWR, could be a tree branch touching the antenna wire.

HA2ZB, KP4SX, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  7. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Portable 2 meter FM operation today from a nice castle on the top of the hills (Boldogkő, North-East Hungary)
    20210919_121905.jpg 20210919_120810.jpg

There is a nice display of various battle scenes from history with tin soldiers in the top floor of the main castle building. I could have spent hours watching these scenes, so detailed and so beautifully arranged... Tin soldiers were completely missing from my childhood (70's). As I remember they were banned from production as tin (lead) is poisonous. Later they were back, but mainly for the collectors. We only had plastic soldiers to play with.
    20210919_121114.jpg

N5HXR, K4NWD, VK4HAT and 2 others like this.
  8. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm assembling a homebrew radio, and today I got the AF filtering stages done. I measured the filter, and was greeted with an excellent result:

SDS00129.png

I usually prefer tones at 600Hz, so it's right where it needs to be. It was a lot of fun to exercise the AF output before the filter, and see that it would pass through frequencies without attenuation beyond my ability to hear them (I tap out at about 14KHz, though my 13 year-old can hear them up to almost 17kHz!).

Then to see the difference with the filtering, it's nice to see things work!

HA2ZB, WZ7U, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

That will work, good job.

10. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are some hams have enough time to play hamtoys?

K5SLO likes this.