How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

How did I radio today?

I made Extra class about an hour and a half ago.

K5SLO, KW9W, N0VFJ and 10 others like this.
  2. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations!

AD7SK likes this.
  3. K4NWD

I "radioed" today by opening up the TS-670S I got recently in anticipation of buying the FM module and the GC-10 for receiver coverage from 500KHz to 30MHz for the unit, only to discover it already had both! I hadn't even powered it up since getting it from Japan, so this was a pleasant surprise! Powered it up and everything works great! Win!

UT7UX, HA2ZB and AD7SK like this.
  4. AD7SK

Thank you! It only took me 40 years longer than I intended.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. AD7SK

Thanks to everyone who "liked" my elevation to Amateur Extra. Still lots to learn, but it was always on my 'bucket list' to become a ham and I am rather satisfied with the decision to finally get it done.

UT7UX and KI4POT like this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

@KJ7ZII Good job!

I didn't "like" the original because I'm just now seeing it and it felt like copying others, but I agree with the sentiment. :)

Chris

AD7SK likes this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

As for radio'ing yesterday, I putzed around with DStar on my D74. I didn't buy it for that capability (bought it for APRS, GPS, and SSB/CW receive) and I'm generally not interested in repeater-based ops, but I was tuning through the local repeaters, including the local DStar one when I heard a net or multi-op QSO including folks who were in other states. While I knew that was a capability, hearing it in person had more of an impact. So, I started digging into things and learning how reflectors and such work. I listened in on a DC Capital Region net that had participants from as far away as Minnesota.

I don't think it's going to be quite the obsession as portable 6mFM, but it could be fun to play with once in a while.

Chris

8. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done, never too late, ever!! :) took me that time too... until I found radio-amateur (i.e. CW) would be the hobby I'd like.

Sipping coffee while thinkering about near-missed opportunities, but the classic «Hey! with your so~so hearing, you wouldn't be into radio, mind you?» always prevails :( albeit I sure fancied SWL like many among us.

- awaiting for two radio related «stuff» to be delivered and how gonna install them.

- filling in QSL cards.

Oliver

UT7UX, AD7SK and HA2ZB like this.
  9. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never mind! It took me 40 years after passing the exam to apply for a callsign and start ham radio on my own. As said above - never too late! Have fun!

PU2OZT, UT7UX and AD7SK like this.
  10. K4NWD

I took and passed the Novice test in 1966, everything but the code. :( Struggled with trying to learn Morse for two years, still failed. Gave up. Fast forward to 2018. I didn't know the code requirement had been dropped until a coworker got his General. I hit the books and took both the Technician and General tests 4 Jan 2019, passed both, but missed passing Extra by one question :mad:. Went back in March and passed Extra. A more than 50 year dream fulfilled. Now one more step for me....learn Morse and use it!

DM2TT, KT4PH, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.