ad: cq2k-1

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice evening in Milna (Brac Island).

The wind is getting stronger again, I can hear the whizzing around the mast and rigging outside.

I was offered a cabin, but decided to sleep in the salon, as the navigation / radio desk is here so I can deploy here my rig easily and can operate late night without disturbing the others.

I spent half of the evening to fix digital mode issue, the signal from the PC is ok, but gets distorted in the radio, becoming to a weird noisy one. Changing the levels does not help. I have to stay at CW.

7 QSOs completed, one on 20m, the rest is on 40m. No luck with 10m. The last QSO is special, one of my friends from the home country answered my CQ on 40m. I could report 549, but got back a 599, and he just wrote an email that it was a REAL 599. He was with 100W, I had 16W... the propagation is so asymmetric... But I am so pleased that we could meet.

upload_2021-9-2_23-10-22.jpeg

KT4PH, KA0HCP, UT7UX and 5 others like this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is difficult to get rid of the interference if you carry them with yourself)

So you need to do the optimization and replacement of noisy equipment and then you can get excellent results among the sea. The radio probably needs a separate battery. The boat is just lovely - very classic style.

3. OH3CBT

OH3CBT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Currently on vacation and spending some time on my radio cabin
    Xiegu G90 20W, 49:1 antenna and using LiFePo4 battery.
    Few qsos in europe.

Attached Files:

W7TCT, KA0HCP, VK4HAT and 3 others like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

OH3CBT, VK4HAT and HA2ZB like this.
  5. HA2ZB

I agree, and I like this shape as well. She does not have bow thruster, this makes the marina maneuvers a bit more challenging. I have driven bigger one (52 feet), but she is the first one for me in this category without bow thruster. Well, I had to get used to it :)

But it is amazing when the wind is strong enough, she is so easy to sail and very stable.

VK4HAT and US7IGN like this.
  6. HA2ZB

Last day of my /MM operation this year. :(

Nord Star returned to her home base.

20210903_175517.jpg

After leaving Marina Milna, I tried the VHF repeater in Žirje Island (Zirke in Repeaterbook by mistake), and could make 3 QSOs, all stations from Bosnia. Two of them were locals, and one /M Polish OM who is going out to Bosnian mountains. Later I realized that this was not Žirje, but a Bosnian repeater. Žirje in not in operation, but I had the luck to program it in to my handheld using the obsolete Repeaterbook records, so I accidentally checked in to the Bosnian repeater with same TX/RX frequencies and could make the contacts from the sea :D

Checking out the boat, changing the mooring places in the marina took my whole evening, so no HF operation happened on the last day. See you Adriatic Sea the next year!

20210901_140302.jpg 20210829_113048.jpg 20210831_201702.jpg
    20210830_192058.jpg 20210831_090902.jpg 20210831_090551.jpg

US7IGN, VK4HAT, UT7UX and 2 others like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Germany, England on 40 and Brazil, Beleize and Peru 20m all Mobile Ma/NH. Bands getting better it seems.

UT7UX, HA2ZB, WD5GWY and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite today, but last few days:-

One "win" amongst the disasters.

First, disasters:
    While I was messing with various other things, my Dick Smith DSE3800, aka Manson 925 & Palstar PS30,"decided to die".
    Horrible thing to work on, (although it has quite simple circuitry) -------- I didn't need that!

The win?
    A couple of Hamfests back, I bought a Yaesu FT 411,with nicad battery packs that were toast.
    Testing the radio on air, using the PA-6 car adaptor, operating off the DSE3800, I received a report of low frequency "buzz" on my transmission.

The PSU seemed clean, so I thought (hoped) "Maybe it was the adaptor".

Anyway, over time, I opened up a FNB-14 nicad pack, removed the nicads-----sod of a job!!

Temporarily, I fitted two 9v alkaline batteries in parallel, but was a bit chary of trying it on air, so left it for a week or so, but finally, on Saturday, joined a group on the local 2m repeater.
    They gave my transmission "a clean bill of health", so all I have to do now is find some NIMH or Lithium-
    Ion to fit, so I can have a rechargable battery pack.

I really like the old FT411, with its VFO knob----no farting around with keyboards to select frequencies.

US7IGN, VK4HAT, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  9. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Really long time ago I wanted to buy one similar from local dealer. They confirmed (by phone, sure) they have it in stock so I drove to them. In the office they extracted a shabby box from somewhere and wanted me to give them my money. No way, I said, first I want to see what is in the box. Next (and the last) part of this short story is unbeatable boring: in the box was obviously used FT-411 (they wanted me to believe it is brand new) for full retail price and no single penny would be discounted.
    So I never owned FT-411 and honestly I don't regret it. :p

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have been in and out of the "shack" this weekend. Yesterday we had a Zoom meet-up for our CWA Advanced class starting tomorrow night to get to know the group and test audio. That inspired me to get on for the CW Open where I managed to work 74 stations in 4 hours, not bad for playing with QRP and a trap vertical.

Today has been dabbling in the TN QSO Party, even got my wife (KG5ONN) on the air to hand out a few points on sideband.

VK4HAT likes this.