How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just can recommend. One week on the sea in a sailboat for me equals 1 month vacation. Nothing compares. Last year I took my family and I was the skipper. Chilling out. This week is for hardcore sailing with friends (+ doing radio).

US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  2. HA2ZB

Sailing to a nice place, but less luck with radio - only 3 QSOs (CW, 40 and 20 meter). Poor antenna, low power - moderate performance is not surprising, but still I like it.
    20210830_195340.jpg

KJ5T, US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  3. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Two quick bench operations: Found and repaired an intermittent in my 100-meter (3 to 3.1 MHz) regen, and experimented with attempting to lock the 3-MHz regenerative detector in my BGCD superhet to a 9-MHz crystal by driving the gate of a 2N7000 in series with the detector cathode with the signal from a BJT Pierce oscillator. The locking didn't work -- it didn't allow the detector to oscillate properly at 3 MHz; regens are finicky about overload, even from far out-of-band signals -- but the exercise did tell me not to expect to succeed with the technique in attempting to lock the 1750-kHz detector in a planned project with a crystal signal at 5250 kHz...

US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  4. HA2ZB

Maritime Mobile - 9 QSOs on Day 3 from grid JN83cm (40 and 20 meter, CW). Once I even had a small pileup (maybe due to the unusual callsign).

Propagation on 40 meter was better, I got my first DX in my /MM log: RX9WN from Ufa (Asiatic Russia), 2700 km.

Homeland (Hungary) suffers of close propagation, I could report only a 339 to my friend who called me on CW with 1.5 kW (!) - he gave me a 229 (I have 15W).

Observation: boat electric devices / electronics are sources of massive QRM. Fortunately I have access to the AC/DC control panel, so I can switch off NMEA devices, fridge and unplug my laptop from onboard AC connector. Without this no reasonable reception would be possible neither on 40 nor on 20 meters.

Our boat in Marina Trogir:
    20210831_162407.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    KT4PH, US7IGN, W9RAC and 3 others like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice boat.

US7IGN, W9RAC and HA2ZB like this.
  6. HA2ZB

Maritime Mobile, Day 4

Staying on buoy in a nice bay near Stari Grad (Hvar Island). Both 40 and 20 meter bands preformed surprisingly well in spite of my reduced power. I used 12W TX output to save the boat's onboard battery, as we do not have external power connection. Interesting contacts came to my log: OY (Faroe Islands), an Ukrainian OM, former R/O, who is doing /MM as well with 5W QRP (!), and finally a real DX, a W4 station (8200 km / 5100 mi).

I guess it helps when boats are not stacked next to each other, so there are no close other metal masts and rigging. But QRM is still coming from the other nearby boats' electric systems. Fridges are the main suspects.

Our boat in the bay:
    [​IMG]

KP4SX and VK4HAT like this.
  7. HA2ZB

Thank you!

Nord Star

First 47.7, built in 2002

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I am officially jealous. Keep the pictures coming. :)

HA2ZB likes this.
  9. HA2ZB

Here we go. Today dawn at not so friendly sea. THIS is a good fun :)

UT7UX, VK4HAT, DK7OB and 1 other person like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit choppy lol.