How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Things are slowly warming back up. I hope the 'crowds' come back as condx improve.

WD5GWY likes this.
  2. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed they are!!
    Persistence finally paid off this evening!! Worked VK4KA, Cory in Australia. He had a big pileup going. But, I kept at it and finally made the contact! He told me over on FB that he would be on this evening and would listen for me. Considering the pileup he had, I was beginning to wonder if it was going to happen. But, it did and finally it happened!
    This old Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV just keeps amazing me.
    James
    WD5GWY

I think my Flex 6600M might be getting worried! :)

KJ5T, KP4SX, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  3. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been searching for help with connecting my TS-440S to my laptop (so, that is my CAT context). I've been off the air for about 20 years, and now that I may have some spare time I pulled my radios out of storage to get on the air. RS-232 connections are a thing of the past, so my previous cable did not work. I purchased one from Amazon, and it does not work. I have tried it using LOG4OM and N1MM. The documentation in N1MM gave me a lot of food for thought. Having the rig connect to the computer was so nice, but I am guessing it is back to the spiral binder for me. That is, unless someone here has another idea! Also, the internal battery in the TS-440S is shot. I have to use the "A=B + power button" to reset the display...each time the radio is off for more than a day or two. I looked up instructions on how to change the battery...WOW! I'm grateful for the reset option. I want to use the radio and computer at JOTA in October. The important parts still work: keyer, mic, radio, power supply, Ten-Tec model 229 tuner, and dipole. I will have to see if I have saved the various parts of the Cushcraft R7. It worked well...in its day. So, that is my ham radio for the day. What a difference a day (and 20 years) makes. 73 de David AE4LH

US7IGN, VK4HAT and WZ7U like this.
  4. AE4LH

Did I "ham radio" today? Yes! I have listened to several of the POTA videos, so I can get a feel for the operating procedures of the group. I have to keep considering the type of antenna I'll use. But, the *huge* issue is what type of a battery can I use to power the TS-440S in a "portable, Parks On The Air" environment? I went to a website that sells batteries, asked my question, but received no response. Any ideas from the group?

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Put on your seat belt!

AD5HR likes this.
  6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

And watch how thin the wallet can get ?
    Are you a big old boy?
    Batteries get heavy.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Take the biggest battery you can carry. For base camping portable operations I took a 110Ah deepcycle which weighed 35Kg and a 120W solar panel, for others where i might be on air for a couple hours I took a 40Ah mobility scooter battery which weights 20Kg and for when I was carrying all my gear in a backpack, I took a 7Ah deep cycle from a UPS and a home brew rig that was very power efficient. What you do and why depends on where your going, how far you have to carry things and how long you are going to be on the air for.

Ultimately only you can answer the questions of what where and how and how much the budget will carry, I went AGM deep cycle because I already had the charging gear, but you could go lithium if you are buying charge gear as well and if the budget could sustain the extra costs to save the back from the weight of lead acid.

8. AE4LH

Really good comments! Having the idea is one thing, sitting down to do the research (gear, locations, etc) is another. Not that big, but I have a great ALICE pack

9. AE4LH

Thank you for sharing the great details. 20Kg for the battery. All those parts add up quickly. More research is needed on my part!

10. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw EP2C from Iran calling CQ on 17m FT8. A good signal, but alas, no reply to my call! Oh well, better luck next time :)

VK4HAT likes this.