How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked up an SDRplay RSP1A and connected it to my TRS-450 antenna switch, SDR linked to my radio and did some preliminary testing after using VB Cable to route audio around around for PSK31 and such. I got my favorite cluster linked into SDR Uno so spots show up on the display. and That's where I stopped Weds night.

I just got back to it tonight due a family visit from out of town. With nothing else to setup I set out to make some contacts, which didn't happen. While I like the SDRuno display, I'm not quite sure I like it as an addition to my radio setup.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, you're making quite the splash with that antenna.

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah doing ok hey

4. VK4HAT

5. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't do this today but on Saturday, went to a demonstration on how to build a NVIDS antenna held by the Powhatan Area Radio Club (PARC). It was a very good, hands on demonstration that encouraged everyone attending to participate. They chose to build an antenna for the phone portion of 40m. They had us calculate the length of each element, measure the wire and then put everything together. The NVIDS antenna was supported by plastic push-in fencing stakes so it was only about 3 1/2 to 4 feet off the ground. Then the gentleman conducting the demonstration analyzed the antenna and had us figure out how to tune it since the SWR at the high end was about 2.5:1. I know that a tuner would have no problem with matching this but they wanted to keep it simple. We figured out that we needed to shorten the antenna about 13 inches on each side, so we wrapped the wire around the end stake to accomplish this. The next analysis showed that the SWR was about 1.2:1 at the high end. They then fired up the transceiver (a FT-991A) and we started trying to work some POTA stations. We were able to reach the very first one we tried who was in Charleston, SC and we were eventually able to contact a POTA station in RI. We also reconfigured the antenna as an inverted V which also worked very well. I was awe struck that 60 (or so) of wire barely off the ground would work so well!

HA2ZB, VK4HAT and US7IGN like this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I also never try to tell people about radio. Better to just get a radio, put up an antenna and go on the air. Then there are two options - most are not interested, but there is always a chance that someone will be interested and this is the best way to attract people to the radio.

P.S. Today I climbed onto the roof and restored radials of my vertical. All the thin cords crumbled to dust. Replaced with a thick cord.

AD5HR, HA2ZB and VK4HAT like this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great! I only complain the cat's footage in this video is too short. :(

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

More cat videos, hip cat!

UT7UX and VK4HAT like this.
  9. VK4HAT

Bloody cat is always in the way Eric LOL

UT7UX and WZ7U like this.
  10. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night around 04:00 UTC, I managed to have a nice QSO with ZL1MRC in New Zealand. Instead of using my Flex 6600M, I had my Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV hooked up. My antenna is nothing to brag about. Just a inverted V doublet with the center up about 40'. Fed with 600 Ohm open wire feedline to a 1:1 balun then coax to my TenTec 238b tuner.
    Nice contact, he was 5/7 to 5/8 clear signal. He said I was a steady 5/5. No too shabby.
    James
    WD5GWY

HA2ZB and VK4HAT like this.