How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

How did I radio today? I chased a few parks on the air, and a little dx'ing hoping to get QRZ log confirmation's, to achieve those fancy awards beside my primary picture, all while refusing to use ft8 to do so...lol

HA2ZB and VK4HAT like this.
  2. OK1XD

OK1XD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

...radio today? (tonight) I chased a bit that JW0W, got them on 4 bands for now, unfortunately on 60m the signal was weak with many lids tuning on their frequency, so I am not sure if I did them there too :confused:

UT7UX, HA2ZB and VK4HAT like this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 60 QSOs with QRP is pretty good for a first QRP effort and certainly with modest antennas (I would consider a 40M vertical loop to be fairly modest).

Depends on ones definition of comfortable, I often find QRP to be less stress because I don't have to try for a high rate and I am primarily just S&P. Sure you hit stations where it takes 4 or 5 calls to get through and that can get frustrating and some will never hear you but I have really enjoyed QRP. I will likely continue to mix QRP and LP now that I have my FT-1000MP set-up. I generally stick with QRP with CW but run LP on RTTY and SSB.

VK4HAT and HA2ZB like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I will disagree. This is an excellent antenna that with a tuner allows you to hear and reach the whole world at 100W on all bands from 40 to 10 meters.

Let me clarify what I mean. It gives me great pleasure to receive a weak signal from the QRP radio station when I myself am in the field and I have absolutely no noise. But I get stressed and the QRP station calling me also gets stressed when I cannot make out anything in the conditions of the noise in the city. Unfortunately, this situation occurs much more often than the first.

And this is one of the main reasons why when I use the QRP in the fields and mainly try to call the field stations too, because I know that they will also hear my weak signal.

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to get this topic too side tracked, I do agree that it is a great antenna, modest doesn't mean inefficient or bad in my book, what I meant is it isn't stacked yagis. I have seen some pretty wild QRP scores from stations with multiple towers. For me anything up to a single tower station is pretty modest.

6. US7IGN

Ha! I had experience working in a station with stacks. This is a completely unique experience, but inaccessible to most. Few have even simple yagis ...

I can only compare this to someone who has never traveled outside his state. It turns out there are still so many interesting things around, and call signs of stations on other continents can even consist of more than 4 characters)))

7. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So this is the antenna in question (highlights added to make wire more visible). Sorry for the pile of green waste in the foreground - we are just renovating the garden.

vloop_HA2ZB.jpg

I admit, the feeding point is weirdly located, but this was a good compromise after some experimenting. The maximum height is around 7 meter.

VSWR graph shows that it works well without ATU on pre-WARC bands from 40 to 10 meter. I have not tried it on other bands.

HF_total_2.jpg

It brought me to almost all continents in the last 6 months including AU and NZ with 20W TX power on CW. The only blind spot is South America.

So I like it, and I would call it modest as well.

VK4HAT and US7IGN like this.
  8. US7IGN

On 20-ty they are regularly audible even on my poor vertical from 22 UTC

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can hear them, they never hear me - so blind spot means I am invisibe (inaudible?) o_O:)

I used a makeshift attic dipole in the attic for 21 meter to get SA in my log - that worked, because it had exactly the right orientation. And it proved as well, that simple half-wave dipole is a good antenna.

VK4HAT and KJ5T like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

40mwspr.jpg

WSPR on 40m.

WZ7U and KD2UHD like this.