How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Wanna borrow my spud gun?

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking putting a mast up there say 5m higher than the tree with my Tri band vertical for 20/15 and 10m sitting on top. Its quite a cable run though and would probably need to buy LMR400 to get the losses down. But it will be a support for one end of the 40m dipole.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Stacking a mast along side the tree, or somehow up in it? I've seen both methods, but that tree I'm not sure of species wise. Is it an evergreen or deciduous?

4. VK4HAT

No idea on the species either, but its ever green, was thinking up in it as long as i could do it without harming the tree.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KC1MRZ

KC1MRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Disregard, Made it with my c rappy DIY earchi into MI from NH. Looks like It's better on 40/80 than 20/15

KD2UHD, HA2ZB, W7TCT and 2 others like this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

They might, but I lean more towards verticals. I have all the fixin's for a ground radial system. My gears are already turning on that front. There's salt water less than 100m from my property line. It's just sitting there, taunting me...

US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  7. VK4HAT

HAHA, now if you were a bazillionaire and had waterfront ;)

8. DL4QB

DL4QB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I dug a pit for the foundation. The operation over a tower still lasts, but it is getting closer.The first steps are done.
    Next week or the week after we start with the concrete :)

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Went camping at Flagpole Knob (w4v/HB-003 for you SOTA types) and activated it and it's nearby neighbor, Reddish Knob (W4V/HB-002). I mainly stuck to VHF, only operating HF at Reddish to get a couple contacts as "padding" in case I miscopied a callsign. It was windy and I had issues with my mic picking up the wind, so we went back to our campsite after we had enough contacts to qualify.

Keeping with my obsession to make contacts on 6m FM, I strung up my homebrew 6m EFHW and kept my HT on 52.525 most of the time we were at camp. I only made 1 contact on 6m (twice though). Not particularly long distance either, but at least there's now a 6m entry on the SOTA activation record for that summit where there wasn't one before. :)

I also did some work with my new Arrow II antenna, making contacts up to 122 miles away (actually 3 ranging from 115-122).

When we weren't playing on the radios or eating good food, we were doing a bit of offroading. The forest road going down the other side of the mountain is a moderately challenging trail and a good diversion for a few hours on Saturday. So, not entirely "how I radio'd today", but radio was involved and a reason behind the trip.

6m EFHW:
    IMG_20210508_084125558_HDR.jpg

Camp:
    IMG_20210507_125901701_HDR.jpg

Dinner:
    IMG_20210507_174248958_HDR.jpg

View from 4x4 trail:
    IMG_20210508_144951975.jpg

Chris

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    N8WCL, HA2ZB, US7IGN and 6 others like this.
  10. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I like it all - the radioplay (is that a word?), the rig, the eats, the view. Well done (er, not the steaks, the experience)! :)

KI4POT likes this.