How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to try something like this, but with one wire about 500 meters long on a 160 meter band only and for transmission also. I have an Icom AH-4 tuner. What do you advise?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't give any advice just yet... I'm still doing testing. :) And the ladder-line project is just for reception, as I use other antenna types for transmitting.

The data-gathering overnight hours yesterday got clobbered by thunderstorms here... it's that time of year. So I spent a big chunk of yesterday evening improving the F/B estimate calculation from WSJT-X spotting data.

This morning, I did an SWR sweep of the antenna in its current configuration, which I should have done much earlier. But it does appear to be fairly well impedance matched across several MHz, so at least the hardware check out.

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  3. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Received my QSL card for my first phone contact with a JA station, no QRZ confirmation.

JA 160 MTRS PHONE.JPG

KJ5T, W7TCT, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have played with this antenna long enough... it's time to blog about the initial results and go find something else to do for a few days. :)

The executive summary was "it hears plenty of DX." That was good enough for me. All the stuff about collecting data, estimating F/B ratio, antenna models, etc., was all just bonus material. ;)

But it was interesting enough for me to tinker with the idea more at a later date. Maybe I can build a slightly larger model out at my place in the country, and see how it does on 80m and 160m this next winter, when there are more stations on those bands?

KJ5T, VK4HAT and WZ7U like this.