How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

VK6APZ and HA2ZB like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but they are not really things that interest me Tom, mostly i miss my soldering iron and building stuff currently as i think i finally worked out a solution to a problem i was facing. Not long now, I move in 4 weeks and will put my portable setup up until i have done some renovations and painting for my new office/radio room and built a tower and put up some better antennas.

W7TCT likes this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats not a snake, this is a snake ;) HAHAHA

HA2ZB likes this.
  4. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually thought of your projects when I replied. I bet you miss figuring out the puzzles and the making. 73 mate.

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

This afternoon, I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to convert WSJT-X's ALL.TXT file contents into a F/B ratio estimate for the antenna that produced the spots in that file. It was a bit more math than I had hoped for on a Saturday, but the initial results look fairly reasonable.

Honestly, I spent a bit more time than that on the math, because I had to think about the data for a while, and work out how I could constrain it with reasonable assumptions to get useful metrics. That consumed idle thought time off and on for a couple of days. ;)

Now I'm waiting for WSJT-X to collect more data for me to crunch. That's a fairly "autopilot" process that will hopefully continue uninterrupted overnight.

HA2ZB, W7TCT and WZ7U like this.
  6. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rattled together some bits to make a 2m ground plane antenna. Used welding rods and learned that what I had was aluminum and soldering is, well, not its strong suit. Rather flimsy for any 'real' outdoor use but definitely kept up with my Comet SBB5. It was very comparable with tests to the Jump Off Joe PNWDigital.net DMR repeater using Parrot on my Anytone 878. PNWDigital's Bridgewatch told me what the signal strength and loss was. [insert plug for PNWDigital.net DMR service here]

Lesson learned. Yes, these little antennas work very well and, with some more substantial components, may just be a contender in a future deployment. Or, I may just build a 70 cm one for the repeater's UHF capability.

Just a fun little afternoon playtime. And, yes, remember, I live by the motto, If it's my antenna, it's bound to be humble.

This is my "daily driver" setup for my garage workbench's Kenwood 281A.
    comet.jpeg

And this is the 2m ground plane. (Let's lessen the res so it blurs out the shoddy workmanship, shall we?)

2mgroundplane.jpeg

KD2UHD, KK5JY, HA2ZB and 3 others like this.
  7. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got it! :D

knife.jpg

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not today, but yesterday afternoon I fired up on 20m for an hour and worked 100 stations on SSB...because there were multiple QSO Parties going on simultaneously.

Worked guys in the 7QP. Worked guys in the NEQP. Worked guys in the Delaware QP. Worked guys in the Indiana QP. Holy crap, a lot going on all at once.

Decent propagation and some really outstanding signals. Worked Dave K1ZZ in CT in the NEQP and he was about 40dB/S9, holy cow what a signal.:p

Band was still going strong at 0200 UTC but we went out to dinner and I didn't check later when we returned at about 0430 UTC.

HA2ZB likes this.
  9. HA2ZB

Today was antenna day. I did not give up this VHF repeater story, quickly put together a 1/4 GP, first of my antenna of this kind, it was very easy to tune. But it did not help at all, no improvement related to J-Pole. Anyway, I leave it in place, works well enough. It has an acceptable SWR even on 70cm, the question is, who is active in this band in my area?

South America is my blind spot - I have not got any contacts from that part of the world yet under this callsign. Some months ago I recorded a contest contact with LU..., that made me happy, but later it turned out that it was RU. My garden antenna is not oriented to that direction and the house blocks the pattern anyway. There are solar panels on the S-SW part of the roof, plus metal ventages above them... but I could find a narrow horizontal area under the roof where I deployed today afternoon a 15m half wave dipole (no room for 20m dipole). Tuning went well, and during the short test in the evening I finally heard well a Brasilian and an Argentinian station. They could not hear me, but I will keep trying.

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. HA2ZB

Shoddy? You have not seen my makeshift 2 meter GP that I installed today. I will never post photos about it, there is no blur effect to make it good looking... :)

WZ7U, VK4HAT and W7TCT like this.