How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be pretty cool, I’ll grant you that.

HA2ZB and PU2OZT like this.
  2. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been getting myself into SMD soldering and it's not going too well so far. Though, I finally managed to replace a IRF7309 MOSFET last night on the TX/RX sequencer board (after something like 4-5 attempts; good thing the chip itself was pretty cheap per unit on Mouser) that I had bought a few months ago and had it look reasonably okay. I also ended up having to patch around a few traces getting blown off of/burned off during previous repair attempts and tests.

Anyway, I think it's switching the TX/RX switch properly now, but I'm having issues with the transverter not being able to modulate anything, despite the power meter claiming that 10W is going out. I kinda wonder if something else on the sequencer board is fried and I should just buy another one. Or maybe try my hand at making a sequencer PCB with Arduino and a MOSFET or two.

HA2ZB likes this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer a back seat with a table on the back of the front seat.
    IMG_20201018_140239.jpg

W7UUU, WD4ELG, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, let's just say the back seat of a 2003 Jeep Wrangler would be rather challenging for such a use. I like your setup, very nice.

5. BH4FHO

BH4FHO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to run out and buy replacement antenna today against the Chinese New Year holiday, since my 770D clone broke yesterday.

That 770D had its RF-carrying capacitor broken off, making it no longer work as an antenna. While I am able to fix it by taking the base unit (where the cap is) off and re-solder the broken joint, the disassembly destroyed its water seal so it is no longer suitable for use at places where getting wet is likely, so I still have to go buy a replacement and only use this fixed 770D as an backup.

It is a TRIP taking a one-meter antenna back home with a satchel bag not that bigger than a 16-inch MacBook Pro, have the antenna stick out the front while taking the Metro.

HA2ZB likes this.
  6. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Max

新年好

7. BH4FHO

BH4FHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark

Happy the Year of Ox to you too. 新年快乐,恭喜发财。

8. W7TCT

This is a "how didn't I" post. Last night, I set up everything for an 80m WSPR overnight session. I wanted to see what my lame over the roof "random wire" with 9:1 unun would do. Used WSJT-X on the 7300's RPi 4, set power, tuned, and, since I was done tuning, TURNED ENABLE TX OFF!

Wife and I watched a show, read, and I went to sleep hoping for some overnight results. After I awoke and got my coffee (comes first), I took a look and no results past the time when I set it up. It didn't take long to figure out what had happened.

Please accept the following as a tip for a better chance of successful WSPR results: Make sure ENABLE TX is on.

Sigh.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    KE8OKM, N0VFJ, HA2ZB and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7TCT

This looks better.... sheesh. Amazing what ENABLE TX will do with 4-5 watts. The one going south goes to Antarctica - DP0GVN.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 8.38.42 AM.png

N0VFJ, WD4ELG, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  10. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First day of PACC (Dutch Contest) so a little bit early to come to final conclusion - but... (this is about the CW category)

20m propagation this afternoon was a disaster. I made some QSOs, than moved to 40 and even later to 80 meters. Anyway, I had the feeling that I was dropped into a QRP contest... Almost all PA running stations gave much weaker signals than their S&P counterparts, it was very hard to find them unter the pileups. I was playing with RF gain, AGC, everything... my only idea was that all PA guys turned to their directional antennas towards North America and just minimal power transmitted towards South-East... or only indoor antennas are permitted in the Netherlands...

The contacts were erratic very often, many cross-sendings, repeating exchanges, callsigns several times... well, I am not the most experienced one, but I can clearly see a contrast related to other earlier similar contests.

I closed this day with 82 QSOs (casual contesting, not sitting there full time), not great, not terrible - let's see what Sunday brings.

PU2OZT and W7TCT like this.