How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating out of my camper this weekend. Fun stuff!

[​IMG]

KW2P, HA2ZB, US7IGN and 2 others like this.
  2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Attended the monthly ARES meeting on Zoom...

KK9W, VK4HAT and K6AQ like this.
  3. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished WAS on 160 meters which gives me WAS on 9 bands. So I thought I'd try for WAS on 6 meters. Today, I put up a 6 Meter Delta loop at about 50ft. Fed with approx. 300ft of 33o Ohm ladder line back to the house to a 1:1 balun. Took the better part of the day to get the antenna up and route the line. I checked it with the analyzer and the SWR was about 2.7:1. I added a 4ft loop of ladder line which brought it down to ~1.3:1. Then, started calling CQ, but there's not much happening on 6M today, apparently. Look for me on 6 meters.

KW2P, N1OOQ, HA2ZB and 3 others like this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I helped a ham who's new to the hobby that emailed the club looking for help with his first radio. We met up over coffee at a diner and I programmed a couple of repeaters into his HT and showed him how to do it. Since we live out on the fringe of the area repeaters for HTs he was having trouble. I invited him to my house and we added a few more viable repeaters and gave him my longer flexible whip to keep. We plan on meeting tomorrow for more "lunch and learn."

Good times.

N8RKD, HA2ZB, DK7OB and 8 others like this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

smith_2.png

Fiji on all the bands. Pity Dave's not home man.

PU2OZT, WZ7U and KK9W like this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Zambia 9J2BS today. Already confirmed on LoTW for country #261 on 30 meters.

WZ7U, VK4HAT and KK9W like this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I did manage to get Kuwait, 9K2GS last night on 40M SSB to make 117 confirmed out of 137 countries.

PU2OZT, WZ7U, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  8. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the root pole parts fabricated and installed on the top of my tower so now I have a mounting point for the R-6000.

Attached Files:

WZ7U, US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  9. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FINALLY I set up FT8 and I made my first contact so that was awesome!!!

KW2P, AJ4WC, VK4HAT and 3 others like this.
  10. HA2ZB

HA2ZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tested my attic delta loop for 20m. I could hear in the first minutes that it is not good enough - my garden vertical loop provided much higher signal levels. Although the DL was tuned well (SWR below 1,5 along the whole band), it does not mean anything (a dummy load has a good SWR as well, actually).

Finally the RBN provided an even more convincing image:
    delta vs vloop.png
    Call at 1527Z is on delta loop, the 1532Z call is on the garden vertical loop.

Later a small surprise about the propagation (with the vertical loop of course):
    vloop us.png

I don't remember if I ever had 24dB SNR from NA on RBN.

So I removed the delta loop. At least I tried and again learnt something. My attic is not for this type of antennas.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    PU2OZT, DK7OB, W7TCT and 3 others like this.