How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. EI2JC

EI2JC Ham Member QRZ Page

The DARC buro seems to be working, got a stack of cards the other day.

This one caught my eye - drawn by the ops daughter according to the back :)

20201116_211452~2.jpg

MI0GTA, PU2OZT, KJ5T and 4 others like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty card indeed.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. KE8IWM

KE8IWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in process of repairing my dipole which broke @ the feedpoint during an unusually high wind storm the other day. A simple fix, but shooting a line back over the branch is always a challenge. I also received today my 3.5 mm stereo plug and cable so I can connect the world's ugliest homebrew CW paddle. It's sort of a prototype. If I like it, I'll make something much prettier. For now, form follows function

PU2OZT, VK4HAT and WZ7U like this.
  4. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a fairly long QSO on 20 meters using FreeDV this morning. It'll definitely be nice once that mode's more commonly used. :)

As for the remote magloop controller, I finally got the second revision boards (below) and built one. Initially I noticed significant pulsing static while slow tuning. Attempting to resolve that by adding a minimum load to the 12V isolated supply resulted in a spur on 20 and 15 meters, pretty much exactly on the harmonics of ~1.418 MHz. A 220uF electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the minimum load cut that down a bit but I ultimately wrapped the Bias-T DC cable a couple of times around a ferrite bead to fully resolve it. I may want to include that on the PCB itself at some point and/or figure out what could be causing such high frequency noise; the two supplies' switching frequencies are supposedly only around 100-400 KHz after all, not to mention that when idle there shouldn't be any connection between the Bias-T and the isolated supply due to the relays being switched off.

Anyway, there hasn't been much progress on the firmware side recently but there are a few bugs/quality of life things that I'll probably work on shortly.

IMG_20201116_175926.jpg

EI2JC, PU2OZT, US7IGN and 2 others like this.
  5. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally got a semi-acceptable auto-tuning algorithm working tonight. It helped that I was able to see what was going on in the Chrome debug console in real time thanks to my earlier conversion of the UI to WebSockets (vs. straight AJAX). In the end I had to add additional wait time for the capacitor in the antenna to stabilize (since waiting for the SWR to stop changing was apparently inadequate) as well as fix a couple of silly comparison bugs. At the moment, it gets close enough where pushing the slow tune buttons once or twice at worst after auto-tune is enough, and that's honestly good enough with me for now. :cool:

Anyway, there are still one or two annoying known firmware bugs remaining, particularly with the initial connection to WebSockets. Not sure what's going on offhand, especially since it seems to be interfering with the main HTML page load (despite supposedly structuring the JavaScript such that it doesn't attempt the WebSocket connect until after the page's "ready").

VK4HAT and US7IGN like this.
  6. HA2ZB

HA2ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I found this topic some weeks ago and really like it. So I decided to send a post about my miniproject today, deploying my new coax fed mini Windom in the garden, á la SV1BSX (Windom Antenna (qsl.net)). I have already made 2 of this type, they are working well. The one in my attic is for 40 and 20 meter bands, but the performance on 20 meter is not really good, do not really let me work with US stations on CW (well my 20W power is not helping either). The plan is to optimize the new gear for 20m, and using it on 10m too with some compromises if the band opens. 40m is "either-or" at this the low height together with the higher bands, but I will see...

So I created the antenna, successfully raised it between my house and the birch tree, and started the tuning.
    [​IMG]
    The wifi antenna analyzer is hanging on the connector box.
    [​IMG]
    It was going well, but when I checked the resonance frequency on 20m, and refreshed the view, it suddenly dropped from 14.300kHz to below 14kHz. How comes? Is the wire getting longer? And it came to my mind: yes, the wire IS GETTING LONGER! I was sitting in the dining room with my PC, jumped up and run out to the garden, but too late... The connector box with the connected analyzer just hit the ground from 7 meter height. I folded back some wire on both ends fof the antenna. On one of the ends it was not fixed strong enough, it released, started slipping out, that is what I could see remotely as the antenna was really getting longer.

So the painful result is: one broken SMA/SO-239 adapter, bent analyzer connector. I tested the analyzer, wifi unit is working, and shows the correct value when using 50 ohm dummy load.
    [​IMG]
    I have to order an adapter and will continue the next weekend. I wanted to test the new antenna in the LZ DX Contest, but hopefully will be operational on CQWW. And hopefully I will be able to work with North American stations finally.

So this is how I did radio today. 73!

VK4HAT, US7IGN, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wifi antenna analyzer. Wonderful concept. So accurate, it proclaims its fall from the aether in real time.

That's probably one of the top five stories in the thread. GL & 73!

US7IGN and PU2OZT like this.
  8. HA2ZB

Yes, I love this device. I almost got a heart attack seeing it falling.
    Further information:

http://www.hg7an.com/antenglish.htm

TNX & 73!

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Played just a little in SS SSB. Spent time designing a 20/17 M multi element wire beam that I hope to get in the air this coming week

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. HA2ZB

Took part in LZ DX CW, using my attic Windom on the 20m band. (I failed to deploy the new antenna in the garden, see #2496.) Later I decided to make an attempt with my existing garden Windom, which I normally use on 80m. This is the SWR diagram of it on 14MHz, on the display of my radio.
    [​IMG]
    You can imagine, how would it look like directly at the antenna if I can see this at the end of the cable...

But I just gave a try - and in 2 minutes heard NT9S calling (4900 mi). I responded with my 20W TX power (cannot imagine how much out of this really left the antenna), and got the response! For my first attempt...

That reminds me to my respected professor at the university 35 years ago, Mr. Károly Simonyi (great Hungarian physicist, member of the team of the first successful European Earth-Moon-Earth radio echo experiment in 1946, father of Charles Simonyi), who was once struggling for minutes with the new control of the electric movement of blackboards in the auditorium, and finally turned back to us: "Colleagues, the electricity still has many secrets."

Have a nice day! 73!

PU2OZT likes this.