How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

So after 2 days of on and off trying, I have made exactly 1 contact on 15m for the new cycle.

[​IMG]

N1OOQ, N0VFJ, W7TCT and 2 others like this.
  2. WJ4VA

WJ4VA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice, made a few 15m contacts the other day for the fist time in ages as well..
    15m.JPG

VK4HAT and W7TCT like this.
  3. WJ4VA

So since I was able to resurrect the IC-7000 I decided to put it in the car. Its a hybrid so this will be a first for me as far as RFI goes but I did a bit of a test with it in the driveway using the MP-1 antenna (I use portable with FT-817) on the mount I have been using for the VHF/UHF antenna and while there is some pretty decent ignition noise the the gas engine is running the NB knocks it down to a level that it will be usable and hopefully with a real antenna mount and some grounding it will be even less. Mounted the radio on the "shelf" above the high voltage battery in the trunk and the control head on the mount where I had the FTM-400 mounted (so its a bit off center due to the mount for the IC-7000 control head, have to see if I can live with it or my OCD will have me move it). Need to decided if I want to keep the FTM-400 in the car or not and if so will have to find another spot for the control head. Planning on taking a week off work for Thanksgiving and will go back to WV to spend it with my mom and use the garage to figure out a mount for the Tarheel 100 I have in storage there....thinking the easiest route is going to be be to put a trailer hitch on the car and use it as a starting point for a mount.

IMG_1792.jpeg
    The 12V battery is just behind the "door" you can see in the bottom left of the above photo so was really easy getting power to the rig (the FTM 400 is mounted just above the battery being that same door). IMG_1793.jpeg
    With the rear seat folded down it was super easy to mount the radio body to the "shelf"
    IMG_1794.jpeg

US7IGN, WD5GWY, W7TCT and 1 other person like this.
  4. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Built the modified version of the Kits and Parts SWR bridge kit that handles 100W and did some voltage readings at various power levels with my multimeter. I used those values to calculate what the ADC should read for each and generated an equation using this that returns the power level based on the ADC reading. I haven't tested the updated code for the loop tuner yet but it should hopefully display power and SWR readings that are fairly close.

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

20mft8.jpg
    Pity these guys are RX only.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Launch the skyhook!

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. WJ4VA

Started a rough sketch of my idea for a mount for the Tarheel antenna for the car...need to take some measurements on the car to be able to finish it up.... IMG_1798.jpeg

VK4HAT and W7TCT like this.
  8. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Going to be fixing my HF radio tomorrow I can't wait to be back on the air

VK4HAT and WJ4VA like this.
  9. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be back to making contacts this afternoon I am ready for the NY QSO party

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Using an existing hitch receiver?