ad: elecraft

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kept on working on my tower...

IMG_20200913_151557552 reduced 25.jpg IMG_20200913_175733838 reduced 25.jpg

N0TZU and VK4HAT like this.
  2. KO4GOD

KO4GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Had two QSOs in two different countries while working from home! Slovenia and Honduras! Was a good day!

W4IOA, N0TZU and VK4HAT like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Decided to get on 40m after dinner, was pleasantly surprised at the wall to wall activity on phone.
    Made a couple of contacts with Route 66 stations and listened to a few nets. I did make a contact with K4MIA, a special event station remembering those in military we should never forget. Beautiful QSL cards.

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

SSB is where it is! Nice work, it'll only get better from here!

KO4GOD likes this.
  5. KO4HGT

KO4HGT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got on the air for the first time ever. I got my call sign last week. Using a little HT talking to the local 70cm repeater.

W9AFB, EI2JC, N0VFJ and 6 others like this.
  6. KO4GOD

KO4GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to you!

Mac

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well today I am heading out bush to look at blocks of land. I was planning on taking my portable setup and doing a WWFF park while i was out there. Went to check the deepcycle batteries and put one on charge and it was dead flat. Yeah its been so long since i have done any portable radio and I have not maintained a float charge on my batteries. I got one back to 12.5v, but its going to need a lot longer on the charger to bring it it up to full. I will check it before I leave, but it does not look like i will be doing any radio today :)

Moral of the story, maintain your deepcycles and keep a float charge on them even when you are not using them.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep a four of the most popular sizes of car starting batteries over here on hand for car rescue applications and they live on float chargers. I don't mess with roadside repair, I swap out the battery and let them drive home or drive it to my shop.

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was doing some preliminary probing of my MFJ loop's controller box last night with my multimeter in preparation for potentially remoting it. I must have accidentally shorted something while probing, though, because I saw the magic smoke come out. :(Fast tuning still works, but the slow tuning buttons now behave the same as the fast tuning ones. Additional probing (without power this time) showed something weird on the slow tune adjust trimmer (mainly that the resistance was continually changing instead of staying constant like the other trimmers), so I ordered some 10K trimmer pots to try to replace it. Though honestly, I feel like resistors only fail open or shorted--not in the way I'm seeing--so this may not work.

I also found someone on eBay selling just the controller box, so I bought one from them too just in case the pot doesn't fix it--and as a backup/primary during development if it does. Probably should have done that before starting to mess around. :oops:

Anyway, I'm starting to have a fairly good idea of how to remote it. I'm thinking ESP8285 (or equivalent) to an I/O expander to some NPN transistors soldered onto the switch pins. If that works, I'll be able to have a web interface to the control box and thus potentially be able to operate from anywhere.

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Further on the Kenwood Tr7010
    & R1000.

Checked the frequency of the 2m SSB net, & my memory was in error-----it is at 144.125MHz, not, as I thought, around 144.200.

This fits in with the markings on the switch much better.
    Set the range button to 144.1 , the rotary switch to .25, then "tweak" the VXO control, & "Bob's your uncle!"

Heard VK6IQ & the gang on the net, but didn't join in, as with my vertical, I couldn't hear everybody clearly.
    I'm thinking of making a full wave delta loop for 2m, as I think I can get away without full omni-directional coverage, & I have the junk lying around to "slap one together".

A "win" with the R1000:-
    Jaycar had a speaker in stock which fits perfectly--even had the push on connectors, so I didn't even have to fire up the soldering iron.

Connected the radio up to the "Terlin Outbacker Perth Plus" configured for 10m.
    Nothing, nada, zilch!, so I had a look at 11m, as the 10m setting is usually also reasonable for that band.
    Didn't expect much, & again zilch.

I disconnected the outer on the PL259, so just using the leadin as a random length antenna, ran through the bands, & was rewarded with the local 20m beacon, some SW broadcasters, &, on 8.434 MHz, a real, live, utility station!--------HLG calling CQ on CW, & standing by.

I guess that means the R1000 is OK, & my antennas need work

VK4HAT likes this.