ad: hrd-2

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

THREE CHEERS FOR GOOD FRIENDS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020
    VK6ATS, VK6APZ and W7UUU like this.
  2. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked on building up the steel lower support assemble for my tower.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi!
    More...preparation for _more_ radio :)

Not today but yesterday i was with our daughter (Sophie, DO4QB,12 yrs) at the BentzA authority where she took her exam for class A (like extra class in the US). She passed and now she is DF4QB. As a father I am very very proud of it!
    We are now looking forward to many QSOs on the new possible bands!
    So, if you catch her on any band now, make a short stop and say "hello" :)

73!

WP2B, N0TZU, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  4. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did a few contacts in the evening for people doing the VHF Contest that sounded like they weren't getting hits on their CQs. I might be able to spend an hour or two actually doing the contest tomorrow.

Bonus: ended up with a 200mi+ FM contact on both 2m and 70cm in my log from CM94 (I'm in DM12). :cool: I only have a mobile whip ~3-4ft above the roof of this 2 story building, too.

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tested my homebrewed tripod mount for BNC antennas (basically copied the one Elecraft makes, but for less than $10 investment (most of that was the 1/4-20 tap). It seemed to work as I was able to connect my MFJ-1820T and 4 13' radials and make a contact up on a nearby SOTA summit.

I need to buy/build a hiking stick with 1/4-20 stud so I can use that as my antenna support instead of a tripod.

Chris

VK4HAT likes this.
  6. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Found an old Icom microphone, which I was pretty sure had the same mic plug pinout as my Kenwood 7010.
    Connected the radio to the test load, keyed the mic, made noises into it, the meter on the load moved.-------all good!

The 7010 is my default 2m SSB rig when the various PLL multimodes croak it, which, sad to say, is the current situation.
    I had intended to join the local 2m SSB net -------------the problem was, I had forgotten how to use an "old school" VXO rig!

Not dementia---I've just had other things to concentrate on for the past few years, like cataract operations, getting a "pretend knee" fitted, & looking after my XYL, who hasn't been too well, so most of my ham operation has been pretty peripheral.

I couldn't find an owner's manual on the Internet----------service manuals galore, but unlike Icom, Kenwood don't repeat the operating instructions in those.

Anyhow, I had a bright idea, put my FM rig onto the Net frequency, feed it into the test load, & with the 7010 on the antenna, tune the VXO on the various other variable settings till I found it.

That worked Ok, but in the process, I found out my TM201a was on a minus 600 kHz shift, so with the Rx freq on the low part of 2m , the transmission was out of band-----------but it definitely transmitted.:eek:

Switching to simplex, I found the carrier OK, but now have another thing to check-----arrrgh!

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a minimum of wasting time sleeping overnight I've managed a dozen of the RT 66 stations, also got Costa Rica, Indonesia, Cuba and Brazil somewhere in the mix. Need. More. Coffee.

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  8. W7JPL

W7JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Made my first DMR contacts today!

W7TCT, K8SQB and VK4HAT like this.
  9. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

But wait!--there's more!

I'm pretty certain that I did get an owner's manual years ago, when I bought the 7010 at a "car boot" sale.
    From memory, either one of the fixed channels, or one VXO band had been "fiddled" to get onto the 2m uplink for AO7, & the previous owner had added a note about that.
    Maybe the book is somewhere amongst my junk!

The previous day, I thought I'd have a quick listen on 10m using my Kenwood R1000.
    The internal speaker wasn't working, & I had previously used my headphones, but they have disappeared into the "black hole", so I decided to have a look.

Initially the speaker tested OC, then looked OK, so I was quite suspicious of my DMM probes.
    It seemed to all stay OK, & worked when connected to the radio, but I left it out,rather than remount it.
    Yesterday, it was back to "no go", so I quickly tried the speaker of my FT301 in its place, which produced sound, pinning the fault down definitely to the R1000 speaker, not any of the other circuitry.

I could dump all these old radios & buy a new (or newish) "DC to daylight." radio, but where's the fun in that?

VK4HAT and N1YR like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats.

W7JPL likes this.