How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice load of wood, Peter!
    We used a wood heater in our place till this year, when we finally gave in & got a reverse cycle split system aircond.

Wood is a bit expensive here in Perth, but I used to get a couple of loads to get us through the winter, along with enough for the start of the next.

Splitting it & lugging it in got a bit "old" when my left knee started to "give up the ghost".
    I eventually got a "pretend knee" fitted, & that helped, but it still aches a bit, so I was happy to give up on the wood splitting & carrying.

The wood fire definitely puts out more heat, but the aircond does well enough, plus it keeps us cool in the Summer, too.

Unfortunately, my "hamshack" is in the "closed in patio" ----freezing in Winter, & an oven in Summer.
    I have to share it with the dogs, too.
    They always think I come out there to fuss over them, making it hard to operate with a dog trying to spit all over my ear!:eek:

Hell, this posting even sounds like an 80m monolgue!

VK6APZ, WZ7U and US7IGN like this.
  2. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Eugene its mounted on the tow bar on my wagon, the steel is from a very old machine i found in the metal dump
    on the property, its was very hard to drill, i know that as i had to make the hole bigger for the tow ball to fit.
    The antenna is a Codan 9350, it work very well ,only draw back is it only handles 125 watts.
    Normally on my travels i use a 2.1 meter stainless steel antenna, when i am parked i have a 4.1 mtr i can put on as per picture.

6apz 4mtr mobile (5).JPG

WZ7U, US7IGN, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  3. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, the condx is not better as everywhere in the moment. But...if you´re outside the City there is nearly NO noise level. That is a big advantage on all bands.
    In short: At daytime nearly only EU on 15-40m band, at night DX is possible. More on the low bands 40-160 also on 20m depends on condx of course.

Yes it´s a holiday trip and have Familiy with me, so the time for HAM Radio is before breakfast and late evening. It is IOTA here, but not enough time for pile-ups,hi. It is EU-136.

73 Andre 9A/DL4QB

WZ7U likes this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is exactly what I`m looking for! Can you please give me contact of your site owner in private?

5. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, Peter, thanks and thumb up! Good mount for good antenna. I'm pretty sure you enjoy HF mobile.
    I always thought about 108" (2,74m) whip from MFJ and even bought two but never installed. My sedan has hidden nuts for luggage rails so I wanted to install one whip on homebrew mount there. But then I realized the roof is too short so I cannot fold the whip along the roof and securely fix it folded with some homebrew lock: long tail will stick out forward (or back, whatever). I've simulated the whip on trailer hitch and found it the worse place for such short antenna but your mount puts your much longer antenna noticeable higher so the height is not an issue anymore.

VK6APZ likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today was the day to fix the AL811H. Since one of the Chinese tubes self-immolated (I replaced it, natch) I'd been unable to monitor grid current. No mystery there...a 50 cent meter protection diode had blown when the tube shorted.

Naturally, Ameritron/MFJ made replacement of the diode as hard on me as humanly possible. Anyhow, all's well that ends well...buttoned the old girl back up, put her on the air on 10 phone (good enough opening today) and had a nice, long ragchew with a very nice ham in South Carolina.

Also got on 6 (which was also open) barefoot--the 811H doesn't cover 6--and was having a pretty good time until thunder-boomers induced me to pull the Big Switch and disconnect the antenna.

And that was the extent of my radio adventures today, it appears. By the time the storm passes it will be time for some TV and cold 807s in the den with the cats. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    KB0QIP, US7IGN and VK4HAT like this.
  7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like someone forgot to put DC blocking caps on the board. Can we fix it? Bob the Builder says yes we can!

IMG_20200705_082712.jpg

UT7UX, AF7XT, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK4HAT

I am seriously surprised that this worked. But work it does. After 30mins of solid key down, temp of the fets is only 30 deg c.

pic_135_1.jpg
    IMG_20200705_100619.jpg

AD4DQ, N1OOQ, UT7UX and 4 others like this.
  9. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

In the world of unicorns, pink ponies, and sinusoidal signals, these caps are not absolutely necessary. :D

What are you amplifying?

10. VK4HAT

LOL yeah all that bypassing is not needed, it just looks pretty. Signal source is an SI5351a into a dummy load. Obviously it needs filtering.

AF7XT and UT7UX like this.