ad: elecraft

How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not really. I was hearing some faint voices in the phone section, some digital whoobedoobie going on in the watering hole but no cw. I sat like that for about an hour and gave it up to do yard chores while the overcast was still here. Got quite a bit done outside but managed exactly zero contacts so far. Still a bit of light left, might make it back in yet for another round on 6 then try some 40m after gray line. The vertical polarization is really hurting me on 6.

Best laid plans....

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Made a BUNCH of contacts for ARRL Field Day - mostly on CW but all on a radio owned by a good friend W7JJV who is a silent key - he never actually got on the air. I inherited his radio, and in his honor am working on an "Honorary W.A.S." on his radio - got a BUNCH of states in the log today!

Also worked 2 stations on 6-meter FM SIMPLEX!!! and 6M SSB

Heck - why stop there? I even passed a piece of "traffic" for our club to earn the 100 point bonus for handling traffic during Field Day!

Fun stuff

But the very best part was the CRAZY open conditions on 10 meters today - especially on CW - the whole of the US was open here to Seattle. Amazing. In fact, MOST of my Field Day contacts were on 10-meter CW - just like the "good old days" when the sun had spots!

Very fun "radio day"

Dave
    W7UUU

US7IGN and W3KW like this.
  3. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Further update on my IC575A adventures.
    I think "last time we talked", I had found that the receiver worked on 6m, but couldn't hear anything on 10m.

The WIA news in VK6 transmission is on the 10m repeater, as well as the 6m, 2m & 70cm ones, but I "couldn't hear a peep" out of that repeater last Sunday.
    Maybe, just maybe, the fact I was using the 6m 1/4 wave vertical might be a problem, as I didn't have anything up for 10m.

I knew the Terlin Outbacker had worked OK on 10m before, but I had taken the "sting" off it for some forgotten reason, so I dragged my protesting body up the ladder a few times to set it up.

Problem was, ages ago, I had the use of an antenna analyser for a while, & set up all the bands, before I had to give the analyser back.
    I wrote the all the "sting" lengths down, & used the information several times over the years.
    Sometime ago, I found it lying around, & put it "somewhere safe"--------Hah!

The meter movement of the 1977 CB SWR meter (with "faulty"scratched on the top), which I bought from the"returns" bin at"Crazy Charlies", had, after years of sterling service, died, so I was forced to try something else.

I bought a "noise bridge" from the deceased estate of Don,VK6HK, some years back, & hadn't done much with it before, so was a bit doubtful, but persevered, & manage to tune the Terlin up on 10m, a couple of days back.

Alas, not a thing heard on that band, either on the 575A, or the Communications Rx!

Another try today, & success!------- the Icom heard the 10m repeater.

So, now, at least, it's only a transmitting problem (ohh, & the "S"meter doesn't work).

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Me

WZ7U and W7UUU like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today? FIELD DAY!

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that we're at the peak of ES season, I wanted a way to monitor 6m and 10m without having to leave the transceiver running all the time.

So I set up a couple of RasPi4 computers running WSJT-X, connected to one of the outdoor antennas. Each RasPi has an RTL-SDR v3 connected to it, one for 6m and one for 10m. The receivers are running simple command-line demodulators (rtl_fm), rather than a full SDR GUI with spectrum display, etc. Both of them are configured to upload to PSKreporter, so I can watch maps of what they spot.

Sometimes I will want more information than just a PSKreporter map, however, so instead of attaching displays to the two RasPis, they are running everything in a headless virtual VNC server configuration. That way, I can access the entire desktop of either RasPi from any other PC or tablet in the house.

Of course, the first evening I have them all configured and running, the ES is nowhere to be found. :)

US7IGN, W7TCT, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  7. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t do much radio during the warm months as outside chores keep me busy most days and I enjoy being outside during the nice weather.Enjoy radio usually in the autumn and winter months.

US7IGN, KK5JY and WZ7U like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

^^ This ^^
    Gotta get stuff done before the monsoons return!

K9ASE likes this.
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you've got about another 2 weeks

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

US7IGN, DK7OB and VK4HAT like this.