Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.
I bet his ruler is corrupted too.
yeah well I know Americans have trouble understanding English LOL But i did speak slowly to give you a fighting chance
Further to the clamp meter.
Looking at it, I realised I had fitted new batteries, although I can't remember testing it.
Fitting the cover, I hung it across the power supply I normally use for my rigs--------it read 13.25v on "DC volts".
Sometime ago, I did a "bushman's calibration of my Fluke 77, ( not sure why, ----Alzheimer's ?), & I was fairly sure it was reading low on DC volts.
I decided against just setting it to match the clamp meter, although that meter is the newest one I have, & most likely to be accurate, so I decided to use a form of democracy.
I measured the same voltage with, in turn, the Fluke, the clamp meter, & a HP 410C.
I wrote the figures down, but left them in the shack/dog room, along with my calculator----I don't want to wake the dogs & have them start shrieking in the middle of the night, so I will have to "hand wave" here.
The average of the readings was 13.26v -------not far from the clamp meter result, so I reset the Fluke to that.
I then set out to adjust the power supply to 13.8v, & discovered the adjustment pot was noisy.
After "working" it for a while, I got 13.77v------near enough!
While watching using the Fluke, I noticed the reading jumping around, & rwiddled the PSU again, till I found a "sweet spot" at around 13.6v.
I then thought I should check with all three meters again.
The Fluke said 13.6v, as did the clampmeter, but the 410C said 14.2v.
It appears that the HP beast hadn't fully warmed up when I had my earlier "election", & by blind luck, gave a reading which, averaged with the others, gave ithe magic figure of 13.26v.
So I now have a number of projects:-
(1) Obtain a suitable voltage standard.
(2) Reset the Fluke 77 to this.
(3) Check the clamp meter against the same standard.
(4) Check to see if the 410c drift is just due to insufficient warmup time, or a real fault& if the former, go through the DC volts calibration.
No radio, been busy doing my log on Qrz log , the computer shut down so we thought we better have a look see.
The last time i give it a blow job was 2 years ago, as you can see in the picture its a mess.
After a good blow job its working fine now. 1997 model.
Problem here is no tar or cement like in the city. only dirt roads and farmers dry seeding.
A little antenna blogging, mostly updating an older article with some new text and pictures.
Sometimes I just want to take pictures of a shiny antenna with nice green plants in the background, and writing web articles gives me an excuse to do so.
I really need to take mine outside and blow it out, might be a good lockdown project. Maybe while I am at it I can finally replace the drive that failed since I am down to just the SSD for the OS. I keep debating if I am going to put drives into the Dell Workstation I have, it is dual Xeons with I think 32 or 64GB of RAM a shame for it to do nothing but I got it for $150 at an auction so really good price just needs drives.
As for radio stuff, just hooked up the antenna, doing my usual routine of a little FT8/FT4, I will do my Lockdown Morse lesson here in a bit and then after dark tune around on 40CW. I have been calling CQ pretty much every night, sometimes I get a bit and sometimes I don't. My goal is at least SKCC contact a night on 40 as I am working towards my Centurion Award, I have a lot way go (83 more needed). We'll see how doing the SKCC WES Events portable work out to add to those totals faster.
Trying out a Quantum loop antenna. MW now, not as hot as the Kiwa big loop, better than their pocket loop.
Waiting for a little more darkness to try the "SW" loop on the lower bands.
Dangled a VHF/UHF discone antenna about 45' above ground level using a recently installed pulley hardware attached to a horizontal pine tree limb. Fun to see how the signal variety and strength improved over roof mount at 20'. Seeing quite a few regional 2m repeaters now, may give them a shot with a 5W Baofeng just for haha's, likely will need a lot more power than that to hit any of them.
Bought a Retevis RT3S and am learning DMR. I had my first QSO using my MMDVM hotspot today. Three days ago, I had my first DMR QSO via a PNWDigital.Net.
A heavy lift learning how to program via CPS and the terminology but it is coming along. I have three zones: Analog for local VHF Call and repeater use (works very well), DMR for local PNWDigital repeater use (amazing distance and clarity), and now Hotspot for connection to and use of the MMDVM.
Lots of headscratching. I just couldn't connect to the MMDVM via the included SD card setup so downloaded the pi-star software, reimaged the card, and started from scratch. Works fine now.
Contacts, Groups, and Zones, oh my!
Wrote a small Linux app for capturing screenshots from my AA-54, and converting them to PNG on the fly.
Now whenever I press F6 on the analyzer, a screenshot is automatically saved with a unique filename on my PC. Very handy for gathering lots of data from the device.