How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

My receiver is starting to Chooch.

W7UUU, N0TZU, WZ7U and 4 others like this.
  2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very impressive for a homebrew receiver!

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he is trying to give Jim, N2EY, competition to the Southgate series. In solid state.

4. VK4HAT

If i can build a rig half as good as Jims, my life will complete.

W7UUU and WZ7U like this.
  5. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Painted brown the white PVC pipe (that is in a concrete-filled work blue Lowe’s bucket) into which my aluminum mast will slide into to when I put my MFJ mag loop on top of it. Prepped the large planter that I’m going to put the whole thing in, to be filled in with dirt and flowers planted in it. The mast and MFJ loop and housing will eventually be painted brown so I can hide this in plain sight as yard art and for bird feeders. On the housing, I plan to put a fake birdhouse (the entrance hole will be painted on) to complete the illusion. Will have a bird feeder somewhere on the mast as well. Currently, my mag loop is in the attic.

I also scouted out some locations in the yard to put a wire beam. I found a good place with a bunch of trees that form a polygon with a circumference of about 42 feet on the ground. The trees slope outward as they go up, so it looks like I might have a good place for either a stealthy wire beam anchored to 4 of the trees for the 10m band. Alternatively, perhaps I could just go with a mast and a more solid beam up there. All depends on being able to hide it in plain sight. A wire beam would have no issues with that. A mast, guy wires, and a solid 2- or 3-element beam? Probably a bit more difficult. With a mast, I could use a rotator. The wire beam would point in one direction, luckily it looks like it’s the direction I want.

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO

6. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not today, but yesterday, I started digging around in the foot deep pile of detritus on my bench, & I'm actually starting to find things!

I left the batteries in a clamp meter some time ago, but luckily, a bit more recently, found a set of identical battery connector clips in an old TV remote control, & fitted them to replace the corroded ones.
    I was thrilled till I looked for the battery cover,------nowhere to be seen!

Since then, I have been keeping any similar covers I came across, & yesterday found one in the junk pile.
    "That looks similar" thought I-----& so it should, as it was the "lost" original!

"Winner, winner, chicken dinner!"

I also found the Baofeng, and its charger, so maybe I will get a programming cable & try to resolve the "always muted" problem!

W7TCT and WZ7U like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding!

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nicely done sir

Dave
    W7UUU

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. VK4HAT

Thanks Gents. Slow process but its getting there. Though I just watched the video and it looks like I have Parkinson's.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wasn't going to say anything

I also noticed you talk really funny :D:D:D

VK4HAT likes this.