How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still having a tough time with anything above 7Mhz right now, worked one FT8 contact (Mexico) on 17M earlier. Hopefully will add to my SKCC numbers totals tonight on 40M.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I submitted a HOA request to allow permanent installation of a magnetic loop antenna on my building's roof. Initial impressions seem positive but we'll see how it goes. It helps that I'm mounting it in such a way that it'll still be invisible from common areas and the street.

Assuming it does get approved, I may also add a hidden 2m/70cm antenna in/on the mast holding up the loop. I'll need to find a weatherproof duplexer, though, and possibly replace the RG-8X I was going to use with something like LMR-400 to reduce loss at VHF/UHF.

K0UO and VK4HAT like this.
  3. WP2B

WP2B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the process of setting up a remote HF station in the US Virgin Islands. Always fun for me to explore new aspects of the hobby. The grand plan is to have internet access to an Elecraft K3, SPE 1.3k linear amplifier and Green Heron antenna rotor control at the KP2M station in St. Croix. Antennas include something for each of the bands 10, 15, 20, 40, 80 and 160 meters. The devil is in the details of setting up equipment connections on the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) but they are being slowly overcome. Right now I have access, but I'm limited to just 100 watts and a Skyhawk tribander pointed at Europe.

Despite the challenges I've been able to operate the K3 remotely on 20m SSB and CW. I'm in an HOA right now and it's awesome to be able to turn on the K3 in my condo and have it mimic the K3 in St. Croix just like I was there in person. Today after much head scratching and computer fiddling I was successful in getting FT8 up and running, making several 20m contacts via remote control from my current location in Wisconsin. Each little success makes all the failed attempts to get something working worth the time and effort... plus I'm learning a lot about computer networking in the process.

Next on the agenda is getting the SPE amp and GH rotor control connected via a Lantronix serial server I mailed down to my friend Brian (KP2HC) who has physical access to the KP2M shack. He picked it up at the Post Office today. I hope we get a chance to work on adding the rest of the equipment this week. It will be really nice to finally have an amplifier, antenna rotor and more than one antenna to play with... especially since we're all still stuck where we are.

K0UO, KJ5T, N1OOQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. JS6LIH

JS6LIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a station in Japan at 21MHz.

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic, but ... I think I'd still prefer to be in St. Croix, no? :D j/k... nice project

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The Fine Art Of Making Power

I have the utmost respect for real amp designers. Making power is harder than it looks. Im making 50W and that has been a real achievement.

US7IGN and N1OOQ like this.
  7. WP2B

WP2B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Stuck here in Wisconsin for now but as Arnold says... "I'll be back."

8. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I loaded up my house's duct-work to see what it looked like on 20M. I got an SWR of 4 across the band, and easily tuned up to hear a handful of stations.

Not going to attempt transmitting, but I guess I can check the "I loaded up my house" box.

WZ7U and VK4HAT like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh come on, you have to make 1 contact at least and make it legit.

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go QRP and see if you can work any of those that you hear, with 5 watts or less it will be fine and pretty impressive if someone hears you.