How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm hoping my antenna doesn't fall down. Freezing drizzle this morning coated it with ice and now it's snowing, temps in the mid 20's.

2. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the box with the AT-11MP:

IMG_20200402_234054.jpg

Unfortunately high priority work stuff means I might not be able to test until the weekend. Or possibly next weekend if I'm extremely unlucky.

(I should have gone with black zip ties. Oh well.)

3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

What style of antenna?

4. KI7HSB

I can think of one thing... Or maybe that one thing is really two things... I don't know.

5. KI7HSB

Yesterday, I continued working on my antenna support design in CATIA. After pulling all the siding off of the intended exterior surface of the wall, a few discoveries were made that forced me to realign the supports... and now the geometry sucks.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna survived, fortunately the temp got up to 27, there was enough heat through the clouds to melt some of the ice, and not much snow later - whew!

It's a fiberglass mast 37 feet with a vertical wire + ground radials and optional inv. L sections. I recently attached a 20m dipole horizontally from the top over to the house eave 90 feet away, which is what I was concerned about already having the weight of the coax and small balun.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spent the last month worrying about my business, finances and not dying from The Rona. So yesterday I actually felt motivated enough to start working on a project I have had sitting here for some time. Got enough built where I could start testing things, turn on the PSU and it hooks up straight into current limiting. Hmmm, I have a short. So i go into diagnostic mode and start to deep dive.

It did not take me long to work out what the problem was, the regulator for the 3.3V supply rail used a different pinout than whats on the board. I had assumed that the 3.3v regs i had were all of the L78xx series, but they were not, somehow I had bought LD1117Vxx series which have a different pin out.

The only ones I can get locally in the same footprint are 50ma and I need a couple hundred ma. So i had to order from element 14 and they are god damn hopeless on a good day and do not expect to have parts for a week. I would have ordered from mouser, but i do not have the money to put in an order big enough for free shipping and I just dont need much at the moment.

The joys of home brewing HAHAHA. I now have hay fever like a MOFO and feel like i am dying. So I am going to dope up on phenergan and go to sleep for a few days HAHAHAHA. Too much information?

8. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much on the bands , Texas and Barbados worked on 20 meters today. Lots of QSB on all signals.
    I did get a 60 meter contact into Wisconsin last night !!! Not bad for the antenna I have at the moment.
    Had to rearrange things since I was advised to work from home. Went to move my scanner and HT and something zapped my HT and let the magic smoke out. Not good!!
    Found a replacement luckily,since,the Alinco DJ 500 has been discontinued. So will have spare battery,charger,and antenna and can just reload the data from my RT systems .
    New ,to me,VHF amp now in line. Need to put in a power switch for it.
    New to me scanner will be here soon. So I will be able to monitor VHF UHF when I want. No tornados lately but lots of overcast windy rainy days

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    VK4HAT likes this.
  9. KC5RR

KC5RR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8, and the bands suck big time. I've been working 10 thru 80M, and snag one here and there from Texas.

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Played a little in the SSB Sprint and now doing some 60 Meter FT8. I so wish I had a better antenna on 60 meters, so many EU on. Have managed to snag a few French stations but others just can't decode me.

VK4HAT likes this.