How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty good match, considering...

G3ZPF likes this.
  2. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought about using the rain gutters on my building in the past but they didn't seem long enough to be worthwhile. I'll definitely have to take a second look. In fact, perhaps I can link two separate rain gutter systems together and have a dipole. :cool:

3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah that is a way better match than I thought it would be on 160. Can't wait to hear the on the air results on the low bands.

4. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rain gutter antenna was S1 into North Carolina heard by NC3Z on 160 meters but right at noise level apparently. However, it does work. Now to try to do a loop somehow on the ground might be next trick. For now I'm going to see who else can hear me on 160

5. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough contiguous raingutter to make the idea worthwhile where I live. However, perhaps a wire loop might be worthwhile. Would need further study.

Also, I got my 54Ah LiFePo4 today. It's currently charging, which might be a while even at 10A charge current. I did manage to make a SB50 to regular Powerpole adapter using the SB50 to ring terminal cable that came with the battery, though it was such a pain actually inserting the cables into the Powerpoles after crimping that I wonder if I should have gone up to 45A from 30A. I don't foresee using more than 20A, though, so that's a lower priority project.

KF5KWO likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got the aforementioned 20m dipole connected to the radio and am comparing to the vertical. One clear advantage of the dipole, which was expected, is very little power pole noise which is vertically polarized here.

7. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at my April calendar to see if I had some time to play radio. What do you think? Can I fit some time in? Trying to stay positive these days. Stay safe, folks.

calendar.jpg

K9ASE, N0TZU and K6AQ like this.
  8. K6AQ

K6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I got the AT-11MP, but not the ICOM control cable. That comes today and then I should be able to swap out the IT-100 in my Gator case.

Also, I got some parts from Mouser to hopefully make my Elecraft AX1 behave a bit better. Mainly, I got a BNC male to BNC female connector and a grounding lug. I wasn't able to get the latter to fit over the former without making a cut in it, though, and it turns out that it's problematic to solder onto BNC connectors. DC resistance did measure significantly lower than using one of the screws on the side of the KX3 if I got good contact with the connector, so that should let me run a bit higher power on the KX3 without RF getting back into things like an attached laptop. Just need to figure out a way to properly secure the grounding lug.

BTW, I realized today that I could have just used a BNC tee connector + an open circuit BNC cap with grounding chain and saved myself the trouble of the grounding lug. Unfortunately I don't feel like paying Mouser or Digikey again for shipping just that, so that might be something I add onto a future order.

9. K7CTR

K7CTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Donuts, Coffee, radio. What more could a man want?

73!

Tim (K7CTR)

Attached Files:

N1OOQ and US7IGN like this.
  10. OK1XD

OK1XD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have heaps of money hidden in your basement, then really nothing :)