How Did You Radio Today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Aug 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

VK4HAT and KK5JY like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's see...I spent some time getting my laptop, which will be part of the club's digital FD station ready to go. Hadn't used it (for radio, anyway) since last FD. WSJT-X, JT Alert, and the N3FJP Field Day Log all needed to be updated and configured. When I was done I worked a few stations on 20 with FT8 to make sure all was well. Wasn't easy...wasn't much on 20, and more than a few of the stations there couldn't hear me.

That done, I thought I'd work some CW on 20. Uh-uh...the band was pretty much dead. OK, 40. In the daytime 40 wasn't much better. And that was it... :)

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looked at my trees today in a brisk wind to see if it would really be practical to use them for a dipole at 35 - 40 ft. Nope - the upper branches are still too small and move far too much. I will need to wait another 10 years. :(

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just started SWL'ing HF airline communications - pretty cool! I get flight numbers (commercial flights) or tail numbers (private jets) from the communications, then look them up on www.FlightAware.com.

Just something fun to do - I get a pretty good signal (S6 to S9)from both SFO HQ as well as the airliners themselves, usually at FL 360 if West bound, FL 370 if East bound. I hear lots of Asian pilots who really have English phonetics down very very well.

Primary SFO HF frequency: 11282 (5547 Secondary that kicks in later in the day)

Just copied American flight 684 from Arizona to Hawaii, and private jet N166CK en-route from Japan to Salt Lake (must be nice!!)

Fun stuff - not the only way I did radio today - but surely an interesting one :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2019-6-2_13-3-5.png

upload_2019-6-2_13-3-30.png

N7ANN, US7IGN and WZ7U like this.
  5. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For your next Aviation adventure check this out
    https://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/MWARA
    Gives you all the HF frequencies the various ATC centers are using for that region

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice link! Thanks - indeed looks like 11282 (5547) are about the best for me, being near Seattle. Been listening all afternoon while doing other stuff in the shop. Probably boring stuff for many folks, but I find it interesting to listen to. I fly many times a year, and up until last summer, Hawaii was a 2-3 trip-a-year business trip for almost 15 years (thank GOD I no longer have to do that!) - and all those trips, plus many trips to Taiwan, my pilots would have been on 11282 and I never even knew it!!

Thanks for posting that link - best one I've seen :)

Quite a complex system indeed!!

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2019-6-2_17-22-51.png

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope but the fence post was a good place to tie my 9m mast to :)

WZ7U likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done some of that as well. New York Radio covers down into our region on HF. I loved the voice of the gal from Nyark. On VHF all the regional flights have to check in to SanJuan. I can't copy SJU but I can hear the flights as they enter the zone around Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands.
    Similarly, I hear jets passing high overhead and often look them up on FlightRadar24. Often they are from bizarre places like flying from say Recife, Brasil to Orlando and just so happen to fly dead over my QTH at 40k ft. I don't bother to wave :)

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W7UUU