ad: Mircules-1

How did you radio today? (CW edition)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2UHF, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Joined the K1USN Slow Speed Test from 0000Z to 0100Z (does that count as "today"?) and managed to get an answer from a VA and an NH station. Checked the scores today and found I'm the only DX entrant to this SST... I remember hearing a Romanian station, but not sure if he participated.

KJ5T and DM2TT like this.
  2. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a great cw ragchew with ron KA1EFO on 20m
    Right in the middle he suddenly gave perfect german text.Wow,hats up Ron!
    I gave:
    vielen dank lieber ron,ich freue mich auch sehr..

Always a pleasure to work old army/navy folks.They shure know the fine art of cw! (and forgive me my mistakes,lol)

Olli DM2TT
    all analog,tube and straight keyed

US7IGN and PU2OZT like this.
  3. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a guest operator at the Chatham Marconi Maritime Center earlier today, using the callsign WA1WCC. I used a vintage Collins radio and a straight key with a navy knob on it. Attached is a picture of the radio. I made contact with a German man. His name was Gerd, but I forget his callsign. He was 539 here in Chatham, MA. He was QRP-3W. B8EA3A4C-3742-4DCB-921E-65C33809059D.jpeg

KD2UHD, DD5RK, DM2TT and 4 others like this.
  4. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of Germany, I worked DL5YL today on 20m from my own station- an IC-7300 running 100W into a Buddistick up 18ft. She was 569 while I was 559.

DD5RK likes this.
  5. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great rig,i want it.
    Awesome!
    I use a homerestored TS520 an a soviet handkey.
    Alle analog,all tube and straight keyed.
    Hey,great fun can be dirt cheap,right?

Oh yes,20m is wiiiide open these days.To us here thats nighttime.I work the world on this ol rig and a vertical.

Have a nive weekend and stay healthy!
    Olli DM2TT

DD5RK likes this.
  6. OE3IAK

Yesterday did another SOTA activation. Had my first straight-key CW 2m QSO while on the road.
    That was the only highlight. 20m was crammed by contestants, I had to squeeze my way through from 14070 kHz CW down to 14050 kHz which I announced beforehand, but the trip ended with me unheard. Is this a rant about contests? It absolutely is.

PU2OZT and N8AFT like this.
  7. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

SOTA and contests are not usually a good mix. Though there are theoretically "contest preferred" sections of the bands, in a big contest that all gets ignored. That's when being able to activate on the WARC bands helps. 30 metres is becoming my favourite SOTA band.

DD5RK, OE3IAK and US7IGN like this.
  8. OE3IAK

You're absolutely right, thanks. I will get me some more flexible antenna to pack, currently have a choice between a 10/20m and a 15/40/80m dipole.

9. OE3IAK

Got permission from OE3IDE to work a special callsign, OE130KUK commemorating 130 yrs cavalry and infantry (then landline!) telegraphy training. First time I operated under a special call, and tried to kept a friendly QSO pace with greeting and proper report. Some hams told me their names and all in all a nice experience. Will do it again, for sure!

10. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

had a QSO with a om from HA (Hungary) on 30m. This is usually nothing special, distance is 600mi. But for me it was the first QSO with the paddle. So far I've only used the Junker key for QSOs.

RĂ¼diger
    DD5RK

US7IGN likes this.