How did you radio today? (CW edition)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2UHF, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

It so happened that both I and the person who infected me with the radio (UR3WA now), after a series of crossings, now live in big cities at a distance of 500 km from each other. Neither he nor me now have normal antennas. And it is all the more surprising that this morning we were able to made CW QSO at 40 meters. On his side there was a wire and a homemade radio in the process of tuning, and on my side there was a trap vertical of 20-15-10 meters with tuner.

изображение_viber_2021-08-05_09-00-25-765.jpg

DM2TT, W7UUU, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  2. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. Also, your setup reminds me of a movie... tuttle.jpeg
    Hope to get my Cricket 80 QRP kit soon.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I curse FT8 sometimes.

Yeah, it's efficient and wonderful, but it really did kill a lot of 6m CW activity. When I first activated six meters for myself in 1966, it was easy to make 10 CW QSOs a day on six. Anybody who wanted to work DX beyond what they could reach on AM used CW. It was very popular.

<Sigh.>

DM2TT, W7UUU, OE3IAK and 1 other person like this.
  4. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent some time this afternoon on 40m looking for a ragchew, but no joy. Headed up to 20m and make a couple WES contacts with the bug. I'm at least copyable on it, getting better with use.

5. OE3IAK

Did my first SOTA today, easy as can be - just so the car didn't bump the summit marker. Of course mostly CW on 2m and 20m!

6. OE3IAK

"How did you radio" - not exactly past tense, as I'm in the SKCC Weekend Sprintathon right now. Very nice calls received, and had a test QSO with one G4PVM on 17m for a test. Took me a while to arrive, as I had to tune everything manually for 17m for the first time since getting new equipment.
    I repeat, this is an ongoing situation!

7. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I made two DX contacts with EA4AZT in Spain and RX6AM in Russia today on 20 meters using my Buddistick vertical.

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU and PU2OZT like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So far today, 3D2 and VK2 on 20m, G4 on 40m, and UT5 on 17m. In addition I can tell 15m is open to somewhere by the band noise, but no signals heard.

10. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just concluded a very nice rag chew with Peter, KG7MVH on 30m. A great way to wind down before turning in.