How did you radio today? (CW edition)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2UHF, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a QSO to OH this morning on 80M lots of QRM.

KD2UHD likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a special event station in Yelets, Russia.

What makes this special is that Yelets is in Russia's blackland prairie ("chernozem") and I am in Texas'!

PU2OZT and KD2UHF like this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean "QRN" ?
    If you were working that, in the early morning , there were not enough signals on air to make QRM.
    You could probably hear noise from lightning hundreds of miles away at night .
    I don't get up early enough to have 80M Wide open when I get on the air. BUT I often can work a few hundred miles if I can call CQ long enough. In the night hours I have pretty good luck with the noise reduction in my new rig I can knock down the lightning noise and rarely have so many signals I even need to use a narrow filter.
    MAYBE you were on during a Contest Weekend, THEN I can see the QRM possibility.!
    I Started out as a Novice on 80 M only with a single band home brew transmitter. Still love getting on there !
    (ALL CW here)
    TRY the SKCC Sked Page, if you see me there PM me and we can get on 80 M for a QSO !

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I made my first 7 CW contacts today in the K1USN SST. The first was a ham from Ontario, VE3NRT.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    KJ5T, N8AFT, KD2UHD and 1 other person like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm up and QRV 3550 @ 3;30/4;00AM EDT (0730/0800UTC) daily... 3560 after 2330 UTC...
    Usually find a QSO or few... The band closes up quickly after sunrise...
    No QRM which is other stations but sometimes QRN which is noise, not other stations...
    So get outta bed and pound brass!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  6. WB5YUZ

I read the mail on a friend. He had to QRT because of TSTMS moving into the area, but we said a quick hello to each other first.

Reading the mail; it's a thing!

7. DO1DHK

DO1DHK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did my first CW QSO in my lifetime yesterday. And that on 2m band ...

PU2OZT, DD5RK, US7IGN and 4 others like this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

The upper bands are open! I made a couple of dozen QSO at 28MHz and even at 50MHz on the simple vertical. The most distant QSO with England and France. Lots of Italy and Germany stations ...

KD2UHD and KD2UHF like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

I finally worked some DX on 30m using my 80m inv. "L". I was beginning to wonder if this antenna would ever be good for 30m DX.

Now I have to do a little more listening to determine if it was a fluke due to signals arriving from exceptionally high angles last night (local), or if I was just listening at the wrong time of day before.

PU2OZT and US7IGN like this.
  10. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

just had a CW QSO to South Korea, my first to Asia on 20m.
    The 20m antenna is a dipole 2x5m between two trees 5-7m height.
    Got RST 599 and received with 599.

RĂ¼diger
    DD5RK

PU2OZT, DL5SFC, KJ5T and 4 others like this.