ad: qroparts

how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WY7AC

WY7AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Evolved CB'er here too. Met a couple of local HAMs who were also CBers. They administered my tests, and I joined the HAM ranks. (My kids were young and I didn't approve of the 'flavor & odor' that was CB in our part of TN back then. Gave away 11m equipment.)
    Short bio:
    Started on 10m Uniden monoband rig as KD4ZSO. Sold that and spent three years working CW with a MFJ9030 thru a homebrew end fed Zepp with NE2 bulbs winking back at the stars. Worked most of U.S. & Can on 3w.
    Passed Advanced and changed to KS4YL, awarded myself an IC707 and later purchased the vanity call of WY0MN; working mostly 17M since then.

Lex

2. KJ4BNA

KJ4BNA Ham Member QRZ Page

how i got involved

i originally got into this from my teacher. i moved here to SC and this school i came into had this. i thought it would be totaly different. 5 months later i got to take my liscense test and passed getting a tech liscence. ive enjoyed it alot to. ive talked to many different people. its alot of fun for me. i tricked my mom into thinking i didnt get it and when the copy of my liscense got here i just told mom i got it. :p

3. KJ4ITQ

KJ4ITQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always been interested in electronics/computers and loved playing with "walkie-talkies" when I was younger. Around 15 or 16 I suppose, I came across an article online about amateur radio and was very interested, although never pursued it at the time. I'm 21 now and only fairly recently got interested again, and started taking it seriously. I finally went out and got the ARRL license manual for Tech and went over it, studied the questions and took online practice tests, and well here I am! Got my callsign issued last week.

4. KD0FAA

KD0FAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I always enjoyed watching the educational films about various inventors! I wanted to be exactly like them, fiddling around with something! My grandfather was an engineer so he taught me the basics of electronics; i was absolutely fascinated! I couldn't believe what you could achieve with these tiny parts! So, I started building projects every night, and anything i could get my hands on! I wanted to know everything! I wanted to actually be able to master such a complex field. Then, he introduced me to ham radio which i was very intruiged by! I now recently got my general but I still dont have any radio....hopefully i can get one soon...:eek:

5. VK3FTIM

VK3FTIM Ham Member QRZ Page

HF CB (26.965 to 27.405 ) is what got me into Ham radio

I Talked to several ham's and it went from there :)

6. KB3SJV

KB3SJV Ham Member QRZ Page

I got started in ham radio by using a CB radio in my uncles truck!!!
    73s, kb3sjv

7. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot about this thread. So I took the time to read the latest few entries. It really is interesting to see how people got interested in AR. many stories are similar but quite a few are unique.

As for the newly licensed hams that have replied to this thread, grats, welcome, and thank you. It is always good to see a continued interest in AR.

8. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

well me, i keyed my 1st mic (which was on CB) back in 1986 was kinda hooked on radio from there on out.

the last of my real cb experience was in 1999, we were on channel 33 which seemed to get jammed every day. (we was popular i guess) so we ditched AM and went SSB it took the jammers a bit to figure it out, and finally they showed up with SSB rigs and jammed. and in that period one guy stopped in and we talked and he said he was a HAM and this crap don't happen often on the ham bands, he gave me (and some others) some info, and in Feb 2000 took the test and got the license March 1,2000.

ended up selling all the CB crap, and really ain't looked back bought alot of stuff, and with the bad economy in the last year had to sale it all. so here i sit after 9 years no radio, and no money for a radio. still deciding if ill even take the time to renew in about 11 months

9. SV3AWG

SV3AWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hallo Travis I'm John fm Greece Sv3awg first of all I would like to ask you if you work
    a Keyer for CW or a Computer ?
    As an older Ham I would like to see you clicking a keyer and not a mouse.
    If you go to eQSl site you will find Oldest Qsl Cards of 20's and 30's.
    It's a very good Hobby. For me now it is only hobby but till before 15 years was my job as I was working on ships as Radio Operator.
    You have all World in your ears said me one of my teachers before 30 years.
    But you must be carefull Travis cause you have a time gate in your hands and you don't know how it is working . It is the machine that can produce radiofrequency which can travel with Light Speed and you dont know what could be happen.
    Good luck
    Capt. John

10. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont use a computer for CW(that is cheating). I am however still in the learning stage, once again. I learned it once when I was just a kid but did not retain the knack. I have only made a few short contacts on the air. I listen more than anything, then again that is true for me with all modes.

Dont worry, I will own this addiction yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.