ad: M2Ant-1

how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats funny I used to get in trouble for climbing my grandfathers tower as well.

2. K0LWC

K0LWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as a kid my father had some equipment laying around the house from his 'good ol' days'. One day he hooked it up for me and I was hooked. The equipment he had was for 11 meters. From that point on (roughly 8 or 9 years old), I was driving him nuts by taking apart kids Wal-Mart radios and old 11 meter rigs. Eventully I bugged him enough to purchase new 11 meter equipment and put up an antenna on our roof. We put up a 11 meter vertical strapped to our chimney at about 45 feet. I was active on SSB on 11 meters from about 10 years old till about 15 years old. I then lost interest in my high school years being busy with school and sports. Upon graduation from high school, I knew a few amateur radio operators here in my area. They invited me out to field day last year to work the rigs. I brought a friend of mine along as well since he was curious. I ended up taking my test and bam!, here I am. The friend I brought to field day was hooked as well and he took his test two weeks later.

3. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had been wanting to be a ham for about 12 years or so but never had the time to study because of work. October of last year I had a nasty wreck in the 18 wheeler I drive and suffered many broken bones and worse of all a broken skull and brain inury . After 3 months of dealing with 15 therapy sessions a week and a pile of doctors I decided it was time to try to get my ticket . My short term memory isnt great anymore and learning new things is tuff now but I got my ticket and soon after upgraded to a general.
    Im still recovering from my injuries and the hobby has really helped me keep a more positive outlook.

I also got into the hobby for those nude qsl card Ive heard so much about !! HI HI!

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I got into ham radio through an interest in electronics going back to childhood. My father was interested in classical music and hi-fi. In those days audio equipment was very expensive, but you could buy kits which were much cheaper, so he did, and I watched him put them together. I was fascinated by the tubes that glowed inside and the various components with their markings and colored bands. Electronics construction was just a means to an end for my Dad, but I started poring over circuit diagrams and trying to understand how they worked.

When I was 10 or 11 I asked for an electronics constructor kit, where you could make various circuits by hooking components together with spring clips. I made code oscillators and audio amplifiers and simple radio receivers. No matter what was wrong with them you could always hear Radio Moscow. I got interested in short wave listening and built a superhet receiver from a magazine article. I sometimes listened on the ham bands but I wasn't interested in transmitting myself for a long time (though I do remember making a spark transmitter using an old auto coil - having no knowledge of the fact that it was illegal!)

One day I was interested in building something different so I made a superregenerative receiver for 144MHz. I was so "green" I connected my 2m dipole to this receiver with audio coaxial cable! I listened to hams on 2m (all AM in those days) and got the urge to join in. I got a B license (2m and up, no code) in 1974 and worked VHF for a few years, then struggled through the code test and got the full license in 1979.

A lot of what I learned about radio, I learned by my mistakes. It makes me very annoyed when I hear some old timers criticizing new licensees for their lack of knowledge. Perhaps they have forgotten that they once knew nothing. I'm getting to the stage where I have forgotten half of what I once knew, so I'll probably be back where I started eventually, but the lessons that stick in my mind are the ones I learned the hard way, like not to touch the output coil of the transmitter while it's working.

5. KC2TFS

KC2TFS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, my dad, KC2TAF wanted to get closer with his bosses who were into ham radio, so he became a ham, he then made me get intot he hobby, and I am enjoying it. When he went for his General, I went for my tech, have been a HAM for almost 2 months

6. WS2L

WS2L Guest

You must have just got your ticket within the past few months. My son (KC2SIS) got his ticket in November.

Congratulations and welcome.

7. KJ4EKS

KJ4EKS Guest

My father was a ham radio KA4SRJ. I am 22 years old and just got my first license three weeks ago. I love the hobby. http://kj4eks.blogspot.com/

8. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations.

9. K8SV

K8SV Ham Member QRZ Page

My father-in-law and brother-in-law are both hams (ka7rnx and n7xls), so thats where my interest came from. Studied on my own with a little bit of elmering from my father-in-law and got my Tech in 01(?). studied general and code and got General in '04. My XYL has her Tech now as well. I just upgraded to Extra little over a week ago...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. KB3RCL

KB3RCL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a family tradition

Well Im 25 years old and just got my ticket in april of this year. My family has been into the hobby for many years. There are 9 of us now, and one dearly departed.

To be honest, for the longest time i had no interest in the hobby. But after a while you get curious as to what all the fuss is about. My cousin, Travis (KB3LAZ), started pushing a bit as did my grandfather (KE3CK) and it eventually wore me down. Out of boredom one day i sat down in front of my grandfather's ic-746 and just listened for a couple hours on 80 and 40 meter.

Next thing i know, Im hooked. And as they say, the rest is history i guess. I am currently just a Tech but hope to upgrade to General before the years end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.