how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8BVS

KD8BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

(short version of my story)

I was 13 when I bought my first police scanner (Uniden BC80XLT). I was tuning around the lower VHF frequencies one day and discovered the "HAM BAND". I listened for a while and became very interested in the hobby. Then a few weeks later, I heard a few ham's talking about the new radio club website they made. I got on the site an found that they had a meeting coming up, so I decided to go. Everyone was very friendly and was more than willing to help me get my license. Then a month later, I took the tech. test and passed! Another ham (Jim WB8AZP) let me barrow a 2 meter mobile and a small HT for about 5 months until I bought my first radio, which was an Icom V8000.

Thats the short version of my story...

Alex, KD8BVS

2. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont know but how the heck do I get out :p

3. KC9JWA

KC9JWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, i use to be a cber, I then after awhile got tired of all the fights,cursing,violence, sexual harassment,and. And mainly when people went to far gone after me and my friends and tryed delibertly,physically, hurt or tryed to distroy our property and the cops werent even interested so we quit, i been a ham for 2years im general, im happy ham is way more mature,family,fun, more thing to get into and to help voluntarly, i love the sights, mainly introduced by a very good friend, I am happy and proud of myself my friends hubby to get outta cb.:D

4. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he owned every SWAN ever made heh. And to be quite honest I think all of them drifted. My 500C sure did. It was real annoying to be talking to someone and then when I unkeyed I would have to adjust the VFO again to get back on frequency. I sure miss that radio, but the drift wasn't one of the things I miss. heh

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I too had several Swans. Even got to visit Swan in
    Carlsbad and met mr swan hisself.. even rode his sail boat a couple of times. After suitable warmup never had a drift problem.. usually left them on, in standby, when not in use. really think they were more stable than drake and on a par with my heathkits.. again, with proper warm up.

Lee
    NI7I

6. KE5TJA

KE5TJA Guest

I'm 17 and have been a CBer for a couple years now have one in every vehicle and an old base at the shop. Had heard of ham radio before but hadn't give it much thought. About a month ago, my grandpa got an e-mail that a guy in a nearby town was giving three 2-hour classes to anyone that wanted to try for their technician license. I decided I'd go to the first one and just see what I thought. Well I found it quite interesting so I went back for the next two classes. Took and passed my exam on the 5th. Got my callsign on the 12th. Now looking for a good 2m mobile unit (have to go mobile as grandma won't let me put a tower in the backyard:(). Can't wait to get a radio so I can get on the air.

Bryce
    KE5TJA

7. KJ4AZX

KJ4AZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, my dad is a ham and whenever we would get in the car and he would go on his mobile radio, I would get jealous cause' I wanted to talk too!! Hah!

-Stephanie

8. SWL11648

SWL11648 Ham Member QRZ Page

When i was 11, i got a police scanner (UBC60-XLT1). And i was listening every day to a couple of frequenties. So my dad picked up his old President Madison from the garage and i installed it. So was active for 1 year on the CB band. And when is was 13, i started to learn for my N-License. And now i'm 14 and i'm goning to do my test on the 16th of April (so within 2 weeks).

73's
    Swl-11648
    Vincent

9. KI6DKC

KI6DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Post 9-11 and Katrina, I decided that I needed to get some other way to communicate. Living in a rural area, if the phones go down I'm pretty much cut off. Cell phone coverage is spotty sometimes and a major dissaster would mean no cell phones either. So I decided to get my tech ticket. I 2006 I bought the book online as there was no active ham club in the area puting on any classes and took the test in a town about an hour drive away. Got an HT but although I could hit repeaters in the area the airwaves were pretty quiet. Got fustrated at the lack of anything going on and pretty much gave up. In 2007 some guys convinced me to join their Elmer group and things started to pick up. Got my General ticket in February and got on the HF bands last month. I'm hooked. Now I'm working on my CW with the Gordon West CDs and hope to have that down in a short while. After July I plan to start on my Extra class. :D

10. DE3RPC

DE3RPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard DQ0Q and got influenced by the Ham Radio Virus...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.