how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

My friend got me into shortwave radio in 1976/77 and then my dad bought me a cb radio shortly after.

I have been licensed for almost 25 years.

In university I obtained my degree in Electrical Engineering.

Michael Mark, P.Eng., BSc EE, Life Member ARRL

www.m2engineering.com

www.workingclassengineer.com

2. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Did your friend ever get his license?

Or is he still a SWL?

I think it is pretty cool how many start as SWL, then get into the hobby knowing many of the operating practices from listening to the ham bands for years. One guy in the area (an SK now :() started as a SWLer, when he finally got licensed, he had nearly perfect understanding of Q-signals, and knew the phoentic alphabet frontwards and backwards (while that isn't that hard, he learned it all from just listening). I thought it was pretty cool.

3. KG7TNT

KG7TNT Ham Member QRZ Page

SWL = ; ) I think I might be onto this ?

Am I to understand " SWL "

As Learning while listening ?
    Soaking it in while listening ?

Either way ; I got hooked after a friend of mine " loaned " me an HT.......

That was a little bit more than 2 yrs ago & now I'm studying for my Extra class Lic . :cool:

73 for now ,
    Tim

4. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

Well.. like id say 6yrs ago there was this event and this guy had a ham radio so i talked to him about it, and he let me listen to one of his recording of the ISS over pass then he showed me his truck where he has his laptop hooked up to a radio modem and can do emails and what i now know arps.. i got really interested then but was lazy hi hi.. then a few months back i joined boy scouts had a radio merit badge class and got to talk to CA.. so then i bought the technician book and joined a tech class had only 2 classes then studied the question pool in less then 3 days.... took the test*on my 16th bday* and passed :p then one month later in dec.. i bought the general book studied it less then a week and passed :) Now working on my extra i could of taken the test quite awhile back just kind of didn't really cared about it cause im on the HF already :). I actually have no ham radio operators in my family.. i got my dad to take the tech test and passed .. ke5rzu but hasent talked on the radio yet lol. Anyways 73s ke5rrh

5. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is not much different than WS2L's....

My first exposure to radio was the cb radio in the family car back when I was like 10. As I grew up I used the radio and met many local CBer's in the area and from there got a base station, I joined REACT and was into that for a while. About that time I met a guy on CB who was also a HAM. He so to speak became my elmer. He was probably about 40 at the time. He had a ton of SWAN gear. Really into collecting SWAN and restoring/operating it. When I finally got my license he gave me a SWAN 500C HF radio. My dad, who had been a ham since he was in high school had gotten out of it while he was in the military. But he kept an old BC-348Q WWII Military B-17 Bomber Receiver. Which I found around that time, I guess I was 12 or so. And pulled it out of the garage into my bedroom and would use that to try to hear anything I could. When I was 16 I joined Civil Air Patrol and went straight into learning as much as I could to be a CAP Communicator. As I became exposed to HF and VHF-FM I went and studied for my Novice class. Took and passed that, then took my Technican. I ended up becoming a senior member in cap and also had received my senior communicator's badge and became the unit's comm officer. In 1995 or 1996 I got out of CAP. Went off and did a lot of partying and stuff I never did as a kid.

I became inactive as a ham by 2000 and didn't do anything else with it until 2006 right after Katrina had struck us. That's when I discovered the sunspot cycle was on the downslope of 11 years. Because back in 2000 at field day I made 453 Q's by myself on 10 meters in a 15 hour period. The band was quite active I recall. But by 2006 it was dead! So wanting to get into HF again, I studied for General and passed with a 100%. And here I am. Now I'm into DXing, AMSAT, and Digital modes on HF. I'm currently studying for Extra so I can extend my DXing abilities. I'm 36 now but don't consider myself old, don't act old, and certainly don't look old. But it sure has been an interesting time from 1988 to 2008.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. N9MNM

N9MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

ARISS School Contact

My local club W9AXD had the pleasure of setting up a school ARISS contact this last year I got to help tear down after and got really interested and so the club helped me out and it was home free from there. I am 16 and loving the hobby getting others involved my age in town. Right now im just a technician and do mainly 2 meters. I am content for now but when i get out of my parents house you will surely hear me on the HF bands. Look me up on Facebook or Echolink I am occasionally found there so yeah. Thats how i got into the hobby.

7. KD5PIT

KD5PIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I got my ticket at 15, I am now 21. I used to be in CB and scanners and I seen a movie coming out called "Frequency" and at the theater there was a couple of guys sitting down with some HF rigs, and a 2m HT and they were showing anybody who would listen what it is capable of, I talked to them a while and studied for a Tech test and got it a little while later. Come to find out one of the guys at the theater was one that gave me the test and who I still talk to this day. I enjoy it, and with my new toy I hope to upgrade to general soon and have the HF fun.

8. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Ham Start

Howdy all,
    I ordered a general coverage rx kit fm heath kit. Guess that was my start although I used it mostly for DXing for AM bcst stations. That was around 1959. Joined the navy in 66 and went to RM school in San Diego. Got out of the navy in 70 as an RM2 and out of radio until around 1975 or so. Was working at a garage in Grant sPass Oregon and saw Ham plates on a truck owned by Vergil Day. He was, I supose, my elmer. I already knew enough code and theory to pass my general test and Virgel gave me a Heathkit HW101. I am now a Radio Officer on merchant ships.. Look up- my call on the Zed and you will see a shot of my currant ship. Return to her 28 march. Will be operating on the return leg of the voyage from the ship..

Lee
    NI7I

9. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Jimmy,

Being your Elmer had a bunch of Swan equipment do you remember if he owned the Swan 3Drifty, (Swan 350) ? You could always tell when someone was using a 350 back in the late 70's and early 80's because the signal would always drift up the band. With this you had to follow the signal up the band as the other op was sending and hope that he was able to or smart enough to follow you up the band also.

I have a million stories about older tube equipment that would have you laughing until you pee.

10. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a story for you....
    When I was about 13, and living in Maryland, my parents were going to throw out an old kitchen AM radio set.
    I asked if I could have it, and they agreed.
    So, I opened it up, and not knowing what I was doing of course, somehow managed to change the receiving band from the local AM to shortwave AM because after that, I could pick up radio broadcasts from Germany and England (Radio London).
    I thought that was the coolest thing on the face of the planet!

So, that's how I got interested in Ham Radio.
    The rest as they say..."Is history!"
    AB1FV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.