how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. RU9CA

RU9CA Ham Member QRZ Page

Boys in my school had a fashionable fascination - do simplest detector radio.
    I was much interesting how and why this simplest microtelephone from telephone set talks just to connect the diode and two wires. The most incredible - that he talks without any battery.
    I have obtained the diode and microtelephone, has connected so, what did the boys in school and has occurred incredible - my radio has spoken!
    This has occurred when I was whole 11 years old.
    I tried to do the more complex receivers, listened the short waves, including radio station "THE VOICE OF AMERICA from Washington" :) . Began to read the journal "Radio" - in that years it was the best in my country.
    Has heard that exist radioclubs, where are going to ham. Has found such club in its city, became there to go, got acquainted with excellent and interesting people.
    My first callsign "beginning" has got in 1989. Approximately as in America - technics.
    In these years did much different equipments - a receivers, tranceivers, amplifiers, built antennas.
    Than continue to concern with in this time.

2. WA4JWU

WA4JWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham

My father was a ham, now a SK ( WA4BTU). He got me intrested and I took the novice test when I was 10, I became N4JWU. Two years later I upgrated to tec then became WA4JWU. I have slowly progressed until I received my extra. I am now 48.
    Many years ago, my dad got one of his good friends intrested, then his friends sons, then the grand children, now it has gone on to the great grand children. They were all influinced by 1 mans love of ham radio. I only wished he were still here to witness what he started.

3. KF5CSW

KF5CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I'm trying to do with my friends and kids. It'll take a while for the kids; they're still pretty young. I do know there are young Ham's out there, though.

4. KF5CSW

KF5CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm such a geek that I could have taken the tech exam just by cramming, but I didn't want to do it that way. I wanted to learn everything from the ground up! :)

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dad was a retired Navy RM (Radioman). In 1970 when I was 14, he bought me a National NC183 receiver and taught me Morse. After I passed the Novice exam, he bought me a Heathkit DX60B transmitter.

Interestingly, Dad never got his ham license. But, he got a kick out of listening to me make QSOs all over the world! :)

Bryan WA7PRC

6. W1SKB

W1SKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cousin Greg (K1ME) who first got me into ham radio.
    but then when I was 12 a family started to go to our church and the dad (K1PN)
    and the son (K1RLT) are hams, one day I was over and saw him make an sstv contact, and thought that looked like fun.
    but the hook was seeing his son talk on the repeater. I studied and took the test in 2008, at 13 I had a Tech and Wanted more, so a few months later I got My general.
    I am now W1SKB Samuel Barton age 14 state Maine

7. KJ6CLX

KJ6CLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my first taste of ham radio during the BSA Jamboree on the Air when I was in cub scouts. But the big thing that relay got me interested was over the summer I was working at Camp Emerald Bay on Catalina island there were a few ham radio operators and I would see them talking to people on the mainland via the local repeater in Avalon. Anyway it was basically Boy Scouts that got me interested

8. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a blast reading all the stories so far.

Mine goes back to somewhere around 1991 or '92; I would have been 11 or 12 then. My dad has been a ham since the mid '60s, though he's been largely inactive for most of my life, probably because of things like work, family, life, all that stuff. He still has his original station, a secondhand Heath Apache/Mohawk pair. They've been on a desk in the garage ever since I can remember.

My dad is an electrical engineer, and the electronics bug bit me when I was really young. So rewind to the early '90s: I became interested in what the Heath rig was, and before long we were listening to HF on the receiver with a clip-lead for an antenna. I think I was hooked but I didn't know it.

A year or two later a family friend a few years older than me got his novice and later tech (plus) ticket; he was in junior high, and the school had a radio club. By the summer of '93 the New Era had arrived, the no-code tech, and on the second try I passed it, a few weeks before my 13th birthday.

Insert standard story of the rise and fall of the VHF FM Repeater Kingdom of the '90s. By the late '90s, my high school days, I had lost interest in VHF FM, and I never had learned Morse code well. The first half of college came and went, and only halfway through did I think to remember my old friend Ham Radio, ten years into my Codeless Tech ticket. I got involved with the local radio club and joined the League in 2002, picked VHF back up in 2003, and finally by 2004 I was determined to overcome the Element 1A obstacle. Got the general, and shortly before my 24th birthday, the Extra.

These days I play around on HF. I've dabbled some in 6M SSB, and I hope to have that and 2M SSB up by the January contest. I enjoy old radios, boatanchors -- my favorite station being my dad's Heath twins. I enjoy AM, I want to be good at CW, I enjoy the efficiency of digital modes, and I enjoy challenges. I'll play for a couple of hours in a contest if I have the time, to see what I can work. I'm not quite 30, and I'm having a blast. Can't wait to see the sun turn back on and ten meters finally go somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  9. KC0ZZH

KC0ZZH Guest

I got started at ten years old out listening to CB in my grandpas (RIP) old Ford F250 on the way down to get the big fifth wheel camper fixed. Bought a CB in High School and then made a transition to Shortwave listening during my senior year. I was first licensed as a tech in March of 2007 then shortly upgraded to general on August of 2007. Only ham in my family though...

10. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I grew up as a teenager in a small village in the peak district national park - we didn't have the Internet or mobile phones back then, but just as kids today like to keep in touch, we did too... So we all got CB radios.

These were cast-offs from the local truck drivers and while some kids got lucky and were able to buy Rotel CBs (oh they were nice) - I ended up with a radio from a company called Murphy :mad:

Almost all of us used mobile antennas mounted to simple brackets screwed to the outsides of our bedroom windows, and we all shared one SWR meter for our initial setup.

We could talk to each other until late at night for free, having lots of fun!

We innocently thought these radios would only get a signal out around the village, and to be fair, with the antennas we had, we'd be lucky to get much further... However one night a few of us decided to go camping on a hill just out of the village, so to keep in touch with our friends that weren't coming, we lugged a radio, antenna and car battery up the hill with our camping gear.

WOW! :eek: We started to hear signals from towns and villages from miles around. I was hooked from then on! :D

When I was old enough to drive, I put the radio in the car and used to drive to the highest points in the area and spend hours up there making contacts. Later on I bought a cheap solid state amplifier (yuk) and then later still I bought a President Lincoln 10m/11m SSB radio and that's when my interest moved to another level - I could speak to people in Brazil, Russia, USA... All over the place - This was fantastic!

I soon realised that I wanted to progress further, so in 2001 I started looking at becoming an Amateur and in 2002 I passed my Foundation License. From there I quickly progressed through the Intermediate License to the Advanced License.

I know CB and 11m gets a lot of stick, and in most cases rightly so, but it was the spark that grabbed my attention at an early age and an introduction to a hobby that has been with me all the time since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.