ad: Winterfest-1

how did You get in to ham radio?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB3LAZ, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Counter intelligence, you say...hum. Now that is quite unique to the rest of the stories. Grats for being the odd one out.:p

2. KD0HFZ

KD0HFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My ham radio experience

I got started because of the fact that you can use what you build. Antennas, radios, etc. Also my dad works for rockwell collins, aka the radio factory. I started studying years ago but was repelled by the code requirement for the general, which was my ultimate goal. Now the code requirement is dropped, and I have my general, going to my extra.

3. KB3LAZ

Extra coolness! You dont happen to have an unused 75A4 NIB sitting around do you?:D

4. KD0HFZ

KD0HFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

no, i dont have any homebrew radios yet, just antennas, although im thinking about buying and building an Elecraft K1 once I learn code. in the collins amateur radio club shack(w0cxx) there are some old collins rigs that i think are operational.:D

5. KB3LAZ

They are not in Cambodia are they?:D

6. KJ4NIA

KJ4NIA Ham Member QRZ Page

I always loved going to my uncle's (KF4OPX) house and learning about the ham radio. I eventually got the guts to take the test and I passed by 4 good ones. So this wasn't something that just happened. Over the years I had to decide whether or not to take the test. Of course, I had been studying since I was 8.

7. KF7EGL

KF7EGL Ham Member QRZ Page

well, one day a friend called be and asked if i was going to go to the ham cram 2morow which would be sat, i told him no, i dont have the cash,
    so, KE7DZZ chris, spoted me the cash to go down there, i didnt study at all , i just took the cram, took the test, and POOF, 2 weeks later i have my ticket
    and its been a blast ever since!

8. N5CFL

N5CFL Guest

My Grandpa (KE5AAY), and cousin (KB5YUE) got me interested in Amateur Radio. I became a volunteer firefighter with my cousin, and talked on the fire repeater, it took me a while but than I finally broke down years later and became a HAM, and I am very glad I did!!

9. KJ4DWY

KJ4DWY Guest

I HAVE REALLY ALWAYS BEEN INTERRESTED IN HAM RADIO.MY DAD(WB4PDU)
    AND MY MOM(KF4FZH)ARE HAMS AND HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO GET ME INTO IT .MAY OF LAST YEAR,I FINALLY DID I WAS12,I AM NOW 13.:eek:

10. KI5F

KI5F Ham Member QRZ Page

So many people complain about people coming to ham radio from CB. As I read most of these posts, that is where most have came from.

My start in ham radio starts when I was about 10 years old (almost 25 years ago). I noticed the house across the street from my aunt's house had a really big antenna. My cousin and I just walked across the street and went for a visit. He was a quadrapalegic (sp?). Duane Tutor, KK5K (sk) was his name. I asked him about his antennas and he told me that he would show me what it was all about. We went into his shack and he turned on his rig. One that that I failed to mention was that he had somehow gotten some control of his arms and hands. It was amazing to me that the first station that I heard a British station. He talked to the British station and told him that he had a couple of visitors in the shack and handed me the mike. I spoke to the gentleman in Britain and from there I was hook, line and sinker.

I was licensed in 1994 with my tech, got my general in 2003 and extra in 2006. The Tupelo MS Amateur Radio Club now has Duane's call. I am proud to be the caretaker of the club call.

Tim
    KI5F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.